Teaching a kitten their name?

punkypurrbottom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How on earth do we teach Sniggles (the kitty formerly names Trixi) her name? I'm afraid that us talking to Punky is confusing her and she's going to end thinking her name is Punky too, or "Here Kitty".

We say Sniggles to her about 10000000000000 times a day. I'm sick of saying Sniggles.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep doing what you're doing. It's all about repetition. The only reason cats know their names is because its the most common word they hear

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we were teaching both Hannah and Tumbles their names, I always said their name in a sing-song voice every single time I saw them. When I pet them, I would say, "Sweet Hannah girl" or "Tumbles, Tumbles is a sweetie." This is just one reason why we have different sounding names for all the kitties. Having said all this, when I start calling for Callie (who is the only cat who will generally come when she's called), Tumbles usually shows up before Callie!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got our cats to know their names by picking them up, and saying their name only. Nothing else like "hey Lynxx". Just "Lynxx" pat them and putting them right back down. It seemed to work for us. Also they all have their own food dishes, we take the kitten into a seperate room away from the others, shake the food and say "Midnight, Midnight" that worked for us to.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What I did with Charlie is to say it on his face "your name is Charlie, ok?" I say his name when I pet him and when I feed him.

I have a new kitty and named him Alley but when I call his Charlie was the who responded so I change it to Max, I do the same thing and it's effective to both of them.

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read here that others have had luck with getting their kitties to respond to a name. I haven't had that kind of luck. Tried everything, like the repetition thing, treats, offered them all the catnip they could want, all expense paid vacations, nothing works.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 of my 4 come when called, Ginger without fail, Pepper most of the time and Jack pretty often. Repitition and treats has been what I've done. Ginger and Pepper both come running when called. They all come to more than one name as well Ginger will come to Momma, Pepper to Peanie and Jack to Junior. It took Ginger 3 mos, Pepper 18 months Jack 6 mos to come when called. Good luck!