Teaching a kitten how to walk with a leash/lead?

demmytwotone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

Is there a correct or specific way to teach a kitten how to get used to walking with a leash/lead and a harness? I know cats are probably aren't the most...eh...with leashes and harnesses. But we do want our kitten to be trained because my girlfriend and I live in seprate homes. She lives with her parents while I live in a shared home. She absolutely loves Cecil and so I bring her to her whenever I can.

Though, I do want to keep an eye on Cecil when we're outside and take her outside, because my girlfriend's parents have outdoor cats that are...let's just say aggressive towards new cats/kittens. So, we're trying to get our Cecil to use a harness and leash/lead when we're outside.

Is there any correct or specific way?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There may not be one correct way, but several months ago I wrote in some detail about how i have done it . Here is a link to that post. http://www.thecatsite.com/t/254626/can-you-leash-train-an-adult-cat#post_3308601

I think that person was asking about an adult cat they wanted to train. but it's basically the same except that kittens are more likely to accept something new.

If Cecil is a young kitten, of course you'll need a kitten- sized harness or walking jacket while he is small and a bigger one later.

Here is a pic of my Chatri :

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

demmytwotone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah thank you very much! Your post was really informative and I'll keep that in mind.