teaching a cat dog tricks.

bluewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was asking about special cat breeds in the breeders section and mentined i would like to be able to take my cat to the park or something.

some one mentioned "clicker training" and teaching my cat to heel. GREAT IDEA... but um.. how do I do that and what breeds are inclined to learn.

also can simple vocal commands or sounds work or is there some kind of cat clicker/whistle thing that should be used.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Google clicker training for cats, and you will find the website that deals with this. It is not a breed specific cat that is more prone to clicker training, they ALL can learn it. But it takes time, patience and it does not happen overnight. Cats ARE NOT dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Google clicker training for cats, and you will find the website that deals with this. It is not a breed specific cat that is more prone to clicker training, they ALL can learn it. But it takes time, patience and it does not happen overnight. Cats ARE NOT dogs.
thank god for that

lilycurly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not exactly as if she were running back at me at will...but my smallest one, Luna has learned to catch a toy mouse I throw and bring it back in my hand. The funny thing is she learned that all by herself and she likes it so much I can spend an entire evening playing with her while watching the TV.lol
She won't let me stop!
Appart from that funny little behavior, I'm pretty happy that cats behave like cats. Or else I would have adopted a dog...

seppolina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I started clicker training my Pete Pete a few months ago & we have a blast together doing it. She is particularly good at walking on her hind legs! They say that kittens pick it up the fastest but Pete Pete is 8 years old & has been doing great! We joined a Yahoo group to get started...their archives are very helpful & if you have any questions you can't find answers to, just post them to the group...they reply pretty quickly. Here's the link if you're interested: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cat-Clicker/

Amanda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluewolf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanx. in the states i would not be so particular about a cat because I am more free to open up the back door when ever the cat wants in or out. but here in korea that is not so much of an option. I hate the idea of having a cat and denieing him/her the freedom to sniff the grass or lay in the sun so i want to have a cat that I can take to the park or river for a little freedom stroll.

kwonghow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally got thru clicker traning with my DOGs.... few months back... But I try the same method it does works..on my CAT... well but i manage to make them sit... few of my cat not all... anyway is a good start well i been doing it for 2 month hehehehe maybe i just need more paitents..... for myself..
anyway know does any PRO traniner for CATS???

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've started clicker training my cats. You have to start with basic tasks. The first you teach is touch target. You take a stick, spoon, whatever and get them to touch their noses to it. You "shape" the behavior. At first you click just when they acknowledge the stick then next you click when you sniff the stick. With cats this is easy because they naturally want to scent everything. After a while you can get the cat to follow the sick around the room.

The next task is go to mat. I set out a piece of paper and again you click when they acknowledge it, click when they put a paw on the mat, then 2 paws. Eventually you get them to lay down on the mat.

After these 2 tasks the cat gets the idea that clicking means they are doing something good (because you give them a treat everytime you click) and you can shape ANYTHING. Each cat is different in how long it takes to shape a new behavior.

Between my 3 cats, 2 are coming along well, but one is doing exceptional. She just gets it and so quickly too. I'm still only on the second behavior. There are books you can read, I'm also on that clicker users group. I get most of my information from the users group, its a great resource since its specifically for cats and clickers. And a decent clicker is necessary. It has to be sharp enough for them to acknowledge it.

This method works with dogs, horses, birds, cats. etc. But cats attention span is smaller than many animals and so you have to keep the sessions short around 3-5 minutes otherwise they will get frustrated.
Clicker Training For Cats

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bluewolf

thanx. in the states i would not be so particular about a cat because I am more free to open up the back door when ever the cat wants in or out.
Actually this is highly discouraged in the states. It might have been like that 10 years ago but more and more people are keeping their cats as indoor only. I used to have the philosophy that cats need to be outside but I've since changed my mind, especially after seeing how happy my 3 indoor kitties are. Shelters more and more won't allow you to adopt unless you say you will keep the cat inside. People get very protective of their bird feeders (look at all the angry neighbor threads) and personal property. It really isn't accepted anymore.

However this philosophy seems to be different around the world.

If you think boredom is an issue then consider getting 2 cats. They will be happier in pairs