Teach kitten to like water?

kreyessa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all!

So, my cousin has a cat, who loves water. She jumps in the bath, shower, and even a kid pool, and loves to play in it.

With that being said, I am wondering how I can get my kitten to learn to like water. I'v tried putting some in a shallow bowl, and tapping in it in a playful way to try and get him to. But as soon as his paws hit the water he semi-freaked out. he is almost 12 weeks old, is there any known way to do this? 

Thanks in advance!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, a cat either likes water or it doesn't. There is no way to force him or try to change his mind about it. I've had many of cats and a only a few, actually 3. Had liked to play in water but nothing more than dipping a paw in. Usually certain breeds like the Turkish Van like water but for most others, they won't. He might tolerate a bath if you wanted to try it and while he is young but otherwise, especially if he is shorthair, he might not ever need it.

ursulaandbuffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!  I have two kitties; one likes to play with water, but not in it, and the other doesn't seem to like it much at all.  However, if I let her in the bathroom when I'm showering or taking a bath, sometimes she will bat at it.  I have some old corks I float in bowls or the tub sometimes, and she will play with those, but I don't think I will ever be able to convince her to get in the water.