teach cat to come to his name

immortalflower

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is 5 months old. Can you help me with tips to get him to come to his name please?

He does seem to recognize his name by turning his ears or head, or if he is upstairs comes halfway too see what is happening.... but unless there is food he will not come.

He is SO responsive to food that we can't even get it out in secret in order to use it as a reward as he is there immediately and stays.

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might consider Clicker Training.  It's a great technique to teach cats tricks or extinguish unwanted or dangerous behaviors.  My cat Archie, comes when he is called (I whistle) - most of the time.  I also used Clicker Training to teach him to sit on a stool while I am working in the kitchen.  Karen Pryor's book on clicker training for cats provides a good introduction to the method (though there are a number of other good choices). Most cats enjoy the approach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

immortalflower

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will look into that. I would like him to be well trained like a cat I had years ago. But my other cat was just obedient by nature and affection was all the reward he needed. I'd like to achieve the same results but my current cat is differently motivated.

I know what the clicker is but I will need to learn more of the details. He is

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

immortalflower

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah! Found this is on tapatalk.. was having a bad time getting the website to work with my phone.

Anyhow, I was meaning to add... my cat seems very bright just not necessarily willing. Lol