tea tree and manuka oil

violetdream

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I know that tea tree is very toxic for cats! I use small amounts in a facial oil blend and I was wondering how this would affect my cats. I may have traces of it on my hands an obviously it is going to be on my face for most of the day. One of my cats is a licker so she may lick my face. Should I be really worried about this? I don't want to be too paranoid about it but I don't want them to die or get sick. I also wash my face with tea tree oil soap and have for many years but they have never reacted adversely.

If it is very dangerous I wanted to ask about Manuka oil. Manuka oil is like tea tree oil but stronger and I don't think it's as toxic. I heard about the honey being used to treat ringworms. Does anyone know if this is safe to use around cats? If it's safer I will switch to all manuka oil since I like the smell better.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Consult your vet or posion control ...

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm... I'm not sure about the difference between the 2 oils. I swear by Tea Tree Oil to rid humans of ringworm, but would never use it on the cats. It was the only thing that worked when I had ringworm and I tried everything!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Funny thing I pull up a saalve when I google manuka...

I would use either ... see Tea tree oil toxicity is varied amoung cats