TCS Opinion Poll

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Running these forums is proving to not be very easy. They are using up a lot of resources. At this time we are trying different forms of advertising here. We have put together a poll to see what the majority feels about our choices. Please respond how you truly feel regarding ads in the forums only-

Also note that if we do find members want to do away with them, the requirement would be that those people pay $5.00 per month at least 6 months in advance. before we could actually get rid of them altogether, if that is what you wish.

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted that I don't mind them and I find them interesting and sometimes i click on them too. If the ads are supporting TCS then I say keep them

grampngram

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're pretty new here, but keep the ads.
If in the future there is a fee to be paid to support the site, then so be it. This is one of the best forums we've ever seen, and worth it.

Our $0.02 worth.

Susan and Whathisname

loubelia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't have a chance to vote, but I say keep them as opposed to paying a member's fee. Once in a while I click on the ads since they do benefit cat related products-and I sure do love coming to this site for my benefit and my 4 cat's benefit for free (courtesy of the ads
)

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I certainly don't mind their being there. They're not a problem, and if it's an effective means of generating revenue, I'm all for it. I have ads in both my browser and my email client, because they both offer "sponsored" versions with virtually all of the "pro" features at no cost. I try to click through on a few ads a week, in each case, though I confess that it doesn't often result in a sale for the advertiser.

That said, if it came to it, I would pay a monthly fee for TCS, without batting an eye, rather than lose the site.

bibby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like them and click on them occasionally when they look interesting and possibly relevant to someone who doesn't live in the US.
Also see it as a way of keeping the board going.
My older cat has done very well on Royal Canin Sensitive stomach (after trying a few other brands) It was thanks to ads on this site that I found out about this brand- which wasn't very well known in Australia.
catherine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good to hear, they were our first sponsors and should be rejoining us in about 6 months time.

bibby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sam
2 years ago it wasn't- and still now many pet stores don't stock it- as you would know if you lived here.

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I belong to a discussion group on ezboard. It is free to join, but there is a fee charged by the web site that hosts the board, and people can "opt in" to pay that fee. The cost of the board is based on the number of hits. Many of us have chosen to pay, to keep the board active, and then, once we have paid, we can choose to retain our paid status by accepting ads.

So, not to say that this would work here, but just interesting to know that on other boards, people will choose ads to offset costs, knowing that there are costs with bulletin boards. Of course, I would prefer that everything be free, but the cost of bandwidth has to come from somewhere.

Of course, the other option would be limiting posting: cutting down on the ability to start threads, for example.

goblin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The ads don't bother me at all. I completly ignore ads, even if I buy the product and could get a discount. I just completly ignore ads. I refuse to even read them. Ads don't work on me. However I like this site and would not mind paying for the upkeep.

Goblin

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ads? I cannot find any. Have they been implemented? I do not seem to have seen any ads in the forum so far. Is this just me?

A suggestion other than membership if you need money, could simply be donations of any amount. Set up a paypal account or any other form of collection method for those who are willing to donate smaller amounts. I think you will be very surprised at how much money can be collected. I know of a site which got about $10,000 of donation in about 6-7 months despite fact that people who donate get exactly the same service/benefits as those who do not.

fluffy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ignore ads as I don't buy online. Would I pay for Forums of ANY type? No.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind the ads either. I click on the ones that interest me and the others I just ignore. I'd be fine with paying for TCS also if it came down to that. I enjoy this site emmensely and would miss it if anything ever happened to it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't mind the ads in the least, and sometimes click on them if I recognize the product as something being available over here. I think if I were in North America I'd click more.