TCS Members' 2014 Christmas Card Exchange

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
View media item 229911
Are you interested in sending and receiving printed Christmas cards this year? Opening cards from around the world can be so much fun and it's interesting to see all the cards! 

To make the event fun for everybody, there are some rules that we must follow:
  • The 2014 Christmas Card Exchange is open to those members who have joined prior to August 30, 2014
  • You must have at least 60 posts by Sunday, November 30 (which is when the card list will be PMed).  
  • We will exchange snail-mail cards only; e-cards are not allowed for this event.  Please note that you are expected to send a Christmas card to everybody on the list. Be aware the postage to other countries can be expensive.
  • Your posts must be meaningful to count. Please don't post drivel just to get your post count up. Very short or one-word posts, or meaningless posts, will not be counted towards the the 60 posts. (And it's always nice to get to know you a little better through your posts. 
    )
  • There are no exceptions  
Thanks for your interest! Please PM me, if you'd like to be included. We will need your board name, your real name and mailing address, and any other information (your cats' names, for example) you'd like to share. Please put "TCS  2014 Christmas Card List" for the subject of your PM. 

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! This was soooo much fun last year. I loved getting all the cards with pictures of kitties, especially. There's nothing that lifts your spirits quite like a card waiting in your mailbox. :)

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay !I I am glad this is going again!!! I participate in several exchanges every year (including this one) and it is always fun to get various cards.

I have participated in exchanges for about 10 years now, and it is always a blast- Some ideas I have picked up along the way, and I hope they help you!

1. Buy stamps a little at a time, this is what I do. I will generally start stocking up for my Christmas stamps in January, and buy a book a month- this way I am set for stamps and can join as many exchanges as I want.

2. Creating your own cards is cheaper. Personally, I design a 4 x 6 print- and order prints from snapfish, they are 9 cents each, and if you send them to Wal Mart- they include free envelopes. Though this year I will probably doctor them up a bit with cardstock and ribbon possibly. And for those not graphic savvy or who just don't have the time, vistaprint.com is a less expensive alternative- as they include envelopes too. Just keep in mind, they put their advertising on the back (but then again all cards, even Hallmark ones do)

I have done some research on stamp prices, and they have gone up.......... I didn't realize stamp prices were almost 50 cents!! but here is what I found at last check (keep in mind this is for 1 letter or card, oversized cards- are going to be more)

Here is an idea of postage:

Postcard: 34 cents

Us Domestic: 49 cents

International/Canada: $1.15

Last edited:

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sent you PM. Christmas card exchange is always fun and I love receiving cards from all over the U.S. and abroad.

Look forward to lots of cards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I have everybody down and you should have received a "Got it!" message from me. If not, let me know!

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so surprised that only 3 people signed up for the Christmas card exchange so far. Hope more people will join in. I love getting cards from all over the country and the world.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have signed up if stamps weren't so expensive. A Canadian stamp is .85 cents if bought in books, $1.00 if bought individually. $1.20 to the US and $2.50 internationally. Being a stay at home mom of (almost) 2 kids, I just can't afford it unfortunately. 
 Same reason I didn't sign up for secret santa.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would have signed up if stamps weren't so expensive. A Canadian stamp is .85 cents if bought in books, $1.00 if bought individually. $1.20 to the US and $2.50 internationally. Being a stay at home mom of (almost) 2 kids, I just can't afford it unfortunately. 
 Same reason I didn't sign up for secret santa.
That's okay.
 My first few years on TCS I couldn't do SS because of the cost, either. You will still be a part of TCS Christmas spirit!!

This year I have stockpiled forever stamps because the stamp is going up again in January. I think I've got close to 200 stamps so far. I plan to buy a few more as I am really into letter-writing and sending cards right now, and I like getting different designs to match with different cards. Keep that in mind as you buy stamps for Christmas - maybe get extras for next year!

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's okay.
 My first few years on TCS I couldn't do SS because of the cost, either. You will still be a part of TCS Christmas spirit!!

This year I have stockpiled forever stamps because the stamp is going up again in January. I think I've got close to 200 stamps so far. I plan to buy a few more as I am really into letter-writing and sending cards right now, and I like getting different designs to match with different cards. Keep that in mind as you buy stamps for Christmas - maybe get extras for next year!
I start in January and buy a book a month in prep for the various exchanges I participate in.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I start in January and buy a book a month in prep for the various exchanges I participate in.
That's a great idea! I think I got my dates wrong... the stamp went up this year apparently! My god, since I moved last August time has just flown by. I need my head checked!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
You have until November 30th to make up your mind. But I really hope you'll all consider doing cards. It really is a lot of fun to get cards from all over the place.