TCS Cross Stitchers?

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Hi Pamela!

I've "taught" mine from kittenhood that it's "Mommy's String" and it shouldn't be played with. That concept has to be tested almost every time I start stitching again after a long break, but it mostly works.
I also stop when Trent decides he needs loves or playing, so that it isn't a competition for my attention.
Hi! It's nice to be back.
I'll have to try that with my furbabies and see if I have better luck.
Often when I do scrapbooking, Spikey will jump on my table and proceed to lay down on top of the pictures/page I'd be working on and give me zillions of headbuttings while Buddy would either be lounging on my back causing me to bend over like a old lady or on my lap making it hard for me to reach the table. Cats can be quite demanding when they want attention eh?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Firefly*21

Okay, I decided to take a pic of my almost done Ocean Animal world thing...

What do you guys think? (none of the outlining is done, i do that last)
I think it looks great!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I had picked out a few pictures I liked that my mother stitched up. She did a fantastic job and I would like to share:
This one is my favorite - its beautiful! They all are so wonderful!

I could never do anything like this - you guys sure are talented!

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow, you guys have such pretty pictures!

As for me, I did cross-stitching as a ...say, pre-teen girl, then around 14 or 15 I gave embroidery up all together cause I had other things on my mind and just recently I bought myself an old handicrafts book (older than me!!!
) and the pictures got me dreaming and eventually i started again!

The first thing I did (like two weeks ago) was a little name tag thingy for my niece (she declared me her fave aunt on Christmas even though I'm only her uncle's/godfather's gf so far...the cutest 10-y-o you can imagine and I could eat her alive!
) and when I went into the store to buy 3 strands of floss(orange, yellow and light green), I wanted to buy the whole stuff!!!!!
My next project (actually I had that in mind first, but I wasn't sure about my abilities anymore after all those years
)will be a sampler kind of like the ones people used to make, say, 150 years ago to document weddings or the birth of a baby. The kind with lots of flowers, landscape, houses etc. and I'll try to do it without a preprinted pattern, just from the stitching plan that was in one of my mum's stitching books (which gave me the idea
)
I'll make it with my bf's and my name someplace and when we marry, *that* date will follow as well!

I'd love to try one of those stitching programs, but I'm not sure how they work, is it more like Paint used to be, pixel per pixel or can you scan pictures etc. I just don't know anything about these programs.
The only thing I know is now I *have to* check a few sites of DMC etc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MacKenzie - can you count and make X's? Then you can cross stitch too!
Just start simple and work your way up to the harder stuff.

The stitching pattern-making software can work either way - you can scan in a picture and make that into a pattern, or you can create your own like the old Paint program, or a combination of both.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

MacKenzie - can you count and make X's? Then you can cross stitch too!
Just start simple and work your way up to the harder stuff.

The stitching pattern-making software can work either way - you can scan in a picture and make that into a pattern, or you can create your own like the old Paint program, or a combination of both.
Yes, I can count AND make X's! I don't know if I'd be patient enough to do anything like that!

They sure are beautiful though!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Yes, I can count AND make X's! I don't know if I'd be patient enough to do anything like that!

They sure are beautiful though!
Oh believe me, you can set them down for years and come back and pick it up!

amandaofcols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would LOVE to learn how to cross stitch, but I don't know anybody that could teach me!! :eek:( And I'm just not creative enough to do my own patterns...
Umm, what is PC Stitch?

firefly*21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've tried using paint and it works pretty well, but I would rather have that other thing...

I started with embroidery when I was little and it was just too much for me. Then I got my mom to teach me cross stich and it was real easy! I think I did straight cross stitch for like 3 days!

Amandaofcols, I'm not very good with explaining things. Someone else will have to tell you..sorry.

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy Update: I'm now working on the above mentioned sampler and I'm soooooo proud cause 1st it looks awesome and 2nd it goes along rather fast, at least faster than I expected. Last night my bf asked me to come to bed at 9 cause he was tired after working early shift and so I went there and cross stitched until 12PM! By the time I was done I was close to a quarter of the whole thing and that after hardly two days! Yippie!!!!!
The only disadvantage is that this showed me how badly I need a visit to have my eyes checked - I started by holding out the fabric at the distance one would hold a book, but realised very quickly that the edges of the stitches began to be blurred and my hands zoomed up until all the time until I ended up having the stuff barely 8 inches away from my eyes!Ouch!

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fininshed the Wizard tonight just got to frame it now. I have some birthday cards to do before I start another project. Some time ago I saw a really nice dolls house chart, now I can't find it, anyone seen one anywhere?

anne

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Amandaofcols

I would LOVE to learn how to cross stitch, but I don't know anybody that could teach me!! :eek:( And I'm just not creative enough to do my own patterns...
Umm, what is PC Stitch?
Here's some online articles on cross stitching. http://crossstitch.about.com/od/beginners/ In any kit you would buy, it comes with instructions too. Seriously, if you want to learn head to Wal Mart or any place with a craft section and buy a simple kit. Many of them are labelled as Easy Kits. You'll be surprised how simple it is to make something nice.

Anne, that is a gorgeous wizard! I love the patterns on black fabric, it makes the design really jump out.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

I cross-stitched this probably 3 years ago. I forgot I had it until I was taking pictures for another thread.
Awwww!! I want one!!!

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm almost done with the sampler!Yippie!

The only thing i need to add are my name and that of my bf as well as the date when we first met (rather than a wedding date we haven't fixed yet
)
and then I can rush off to my next project, a fantastic fairy with beads and metallic thread, I just got a mail from the supplier that my ordered flosses are ready so in a few days I should get the stuff

The only thing I need to do before the weekend is to find nice frames for my nieces' name tags so they can hang them on the wall or such a thing
That will be a nice addition to their usual uncle-gives-us-sweets-and-money Easter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was curious if anyone got any cross stitch magazines. I used to purchase Leisure Arts at the craft store, but I haven't see them anywhere lately. I get Cross Country Stitching right now...

senga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been stitching for about 15 years now.I've done a few kits for myself but usually my mum's work mates get me to do kits for them.This 1 I finished last night.With doing other bits in between doing this its took me about 9 months to do.

I'm continuing on with a cross stitch kit of the care beas my sister want s me to do for her 4 month old son Brandon
The cross stitch magazine I get is The World of Cross Stitching