TCS Cross Stitchers?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
What a beautiful picture! You did a great job.

Heidi, do you end up stitching black cat hairs into it?
I used to pull out cat hairs all the time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely post more pictures when you guys finish your projects...or of already completed ones.
Emma, that is a beautiful picture. It looks like you can reach in and scritch that kitten.

Karen, I do get a lot of long black hairs worked in to my projects.
It's not too bad unless it's a large patch of white or cream.
A little bit of Trent goes into every project - no matter how hard I try to pick the hairs out!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by huggles

awwww its going to be brilliant though when its done
Thanks!
I'll get some pics as I have a bit more done. It's starting to look like a cat!

I now have a black cat, a white cat and a black, orange and white cat. So I get all colors of cat hairs in. But that just makes it special and unique.

That teddy bear and kitty is amazing. I love the way you framed it. Did you mat it yourself or have someone do it? I never know how big to make the project because I never know how I'm going to frame it.

Anyone have any tips on what they do with their finished projects. (I have a confession. I've only finished a few - and started dozens.)

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to do cross stitching a couple years ago and still have about 3 nice projects that I need to finish. However, I gave up finishing these cuz whenever I start working on these projects, at least 3 cats will be on the couch swatting at the thread as I work it into the project or chewing on the thread!
The projects are still stored in one of my closets..

Do any of you have this problem with your cats and if so, how do you deal with it so you can finish a project??

I can't close myself off from my cats in another room to work on a project because that drives my cats crazy so that won't work..

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat sits right next to me on the couch, so I give her a catnip toy to play with and then she gets all tuckered out!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Pamela!

I've "taught" mine from kittenhood that it's "Mommy's String" and it shouldn't be played with. That concept has to be tested almost every time I start stitching again after a long break, but it mostly works.
I also stop when Trent decides he needs loves or playing, so that it isn't a competition for my attention.

emmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

That teddy bear and kitty is amazing. I love the way you framed it. Did you mat it yourself or have someone do it? I never know how big to make the project because I never know how I'm going to frame it.
Thanks for everybodies kind comments, I had it specially stretched and the mat and frame where all done by professionals, I have framed them myself but this one was a non universal size and I fell in love with the frame. The framers were very helpful in helping me to choose a mat that was the right colour as well. I am very pleased with it and consider it an heirloom now

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Karen, I do get a lot of long black hairs worked in to my projects.
It's not too bad unless it's a large patch of white or cream.
A little bit of Trent goes into every project - no matter how hard I try to pick the hairs out!
That's just a little bit of extra love stiched in

After looking around my housee, I realized every project I have ever made has been a gift!
I don't have anything I have made! These are the last two small projects I did as gifts:

I had picked out a few pictures I liked that my mother stitched up. She did a fantastic job and I would like to share:

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to cross stitch!! I did a baby quilt for my friend a couple of years back and did it take FOREVER!!! I am sooo proud of it though!! If I had a scanner I would show you the pictures.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Backstitching reminds me of watching Bob Ross on TV. You know the painter guy on PBS? I always think that the piece looks fine - why do I need to backstitch. Then I do it and, wow! Same with Bob. He has this really cool picture he's painted then he says, "now let's paint a pretty tree." and puts a big huge line right down the center of the picture. Needless to say whatever he does just makes the picture better and better. Oh. I think I mean painting, sorry, not picture.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have any of you guys seen or done a Teresa Wenztler pattern? OMG the backstitching on her stuff is.....I don't know - torture? Her stuff is SO intricate, but amazing. Before I knew what I was getting into, one of the first patterns/kits I got was Peacock Tapestry. Just looking at the pattern made me go cross eyed.
One of these days I'll actually really try it. I think I got like 1/2 of one corner done before I realized I needed a LOT more experience to try that one! But the backstitching....OMG....every leaf, every pair, every branch, in addition to the bird itself, is backstitched in a specific color.
That and almost all of the stitches are two-colored floss.

And for all of us cat lovers: Tapestry Cat I will do that one some day!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my very GOOD friends did this one for our wedding "sampler": Fantasy Triptych with our names and wedding date over the design. It is very prominently displayed. I could not believe it when I opened it. I knew she was doing a cross stitch, but I had no idea it would be like that!