Tax question

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i was going to say we don't even HAVE a Royal in Denton!
not to mention, up here it's not Stemmons anymore - it's called 35.
Really? lol the GPS always shows it as Stemmons, there is Forest and Royal there. Afterwards it's Harry Hines and Industrial Zone (part of Denton, some of it)

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Randalls in the Houston/Austin area are part of or own Tom Thumb stores in the North Texas area.
Tom Thumb stores are on the upscale side, geared toward the neighborhood. We have so many around here that we tend to assume everyone does.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

it may be a state specific thing. does California have a state income tax?
California taxes EVERYTHING, except your bodily fnctions and as soon as they figure out how to monitor those, WATCH OUT!

As for the sales taxes, I input the state/city sales tax rates and Turbo tax figured out my deduction, based on my income - it's easier than saving all of my receipts. If you bought a big-ticket item (car, boat, RV), you can deduct the sales tax that you paid on that.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katl8e

California taxes EVERYTHING, except your bodily functions and as soon as they figure out how to monitor those, WATCH OUT!
i think the info i quoted applies to people whose states do not have a state income tax [or a city one]. the was it was phrased implied that.
Texas doesn't have a state income tax.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to understand that sales tax is how your locality and your state provide the daily services that everyone enjoys. Streetlights, buses, police and fire protection, etc. Whether you're a citizen or not doesn't make any difference.

Your friend is probably thinking about the VAT tax in Europe or Canada, which you CAN get refunded if you're just a visitor.