Taurine supplement

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have searched for hours and cannot decide. What do you use? It's not added in her commercial food

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
As long as there is a statement on the bag or the can that the food "meets the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO", taurine is part of the ingredient profile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's in the meat but it is not added in the ingredients like most commercial food. Her food is weruva steak frites

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it's in the meat but it is not added in the ingredients like most commercial food. Her food is weruva steak frites

Taurine is listed in the ingredient list:

Beef Broth, Beef, Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, Potato Starch, Carrot, Sunflower Seed Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3 Supplement), Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Excess taurine is excreted through the urine so there's little risk of overdosing if you decide to supplement but there's also no benefit to giving extra taurine that will just be peed out. People who make their own raw food from a recipe often add in a taurine supplement if natural sources like raw heart is not used. Catinfo.org mentions buying from iherb.com

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One article I read mentions about raw feeding which I don't but not ground or minced. Cut up. And if freezed retain the water. Just thought it was interesting. Cooking reduces taurine 50-70%. Science diet and hills h/d does not have enough. Just some extra info if interested. I get bored and need something to do! Everything is scientific so new things are learned just to confuse everything

Taurine For Cats - What You Need To Know - Cat-World

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a lot of it depends on when the article was written. Interesting to know what was discovered in the past and present