Taste of the Wild bloody stools rumor

catscratch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am trying out different grain free foods and I just wanted to know if anyone had a bloody stool experience with Taste of the Wild brand dry cat food.  I haven't myself, but I came across a few posts on a catfood review website where it was said that some cats started having bloody stools after eating this food.  Just wanted to check that out.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been feeding my kitties TOTW dry (in very limited quantities a day) for many years and I've never had one of my kitties have bloody stool.  Of course, they get their main nutrition from wet food and only "snacks" from the dry. 

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats loved taste of the wild but even though I did a slow change over in food the diareah was horrible! My daughter had the same problem with her cat.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine eat TOTW and haven't had any issues. One of them has a sensitive stomach and Applaws seemed to upset his stomach (loose stools) so I tried TOTW and problems ended. They used to eat Acana, but the price skyrocketed 10€ per bag so I started to check out other brands.

*eta* They eat grain, veggie&sugar free wet foods too, but prefer the dry. One of them only eats wet food when she has kittens, she acts like she hates it and will rather starve, so she gets dry only. Others have to eat their wet foods or they don't get their dry foods.

Last edited:

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nope, my kitties were on TOTW dry food last year with absolutely no problem with bloody stool. It could possibly be just a rumor! :D TOTW is a good dry food, but if possible you may wanna switch to wet food to fix the digestive issues, the carbohydrates from the dry food could be what is upsetting kitty's tummy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catscratch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to hear it.  So far my cat's diarrhea and vomiting have cleared up and he doesn't seem to be able to get enough of TOTW.  I have to ration it out.  I have heard a lot about the low carb foods as well like EVO and Nature's Variety Instict and GO / NOW foods. But, so far so good.  I will be sticking to TOTW for now.  Thanks to everyone who weighed in!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have been on TOTW for two years now and they have had no ill effects, other than sometimes gobbling it up so fast that they vomit.

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe my daughter and I never gave the change enough  time. Maybe it was just to rich for them.

bluebo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had bloody stool (constipation) for a few months. He was also on dry food...
I never realized (until joining this forum) that dry is dehydrating to a cat. They NEED wet food.
I feed my boy 100% wet food and he no longer has blood in his feces.
Is the blood due to diarrhea or constipation? Either or- a cat will very much benefit from a wet diet.

catscratch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats have been on TOTW for two years now and they have had no ill effects, other than sometimes gobbling it up so fast that they vomit.
LOL!  I wonder what it is about TOTW that makes some cats so enthusiastic.  My cat certainly can't get enough.  Thank you for sharing. 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe TOTW was recalled and they didn't know ad that could have caused the blood? if i remember correctly i think TOTW was recalled once so many brands UGH

i don,t buy it maybe someday

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe my daughter and I never gave the change enough  time. Maybe it was just to rich for them.
or the food combination was interacting with each other that did that because when one of my cats was eating kit and adult food together they was having the problem until i changed the adult brand it worked

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 6 cats. I tried them on TOTW last year within 2 days 4 of them had runny stools. I stopped and went back to what they alway eat and there diareah stopped

catscratch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since my last response, I have moved on from TOTW.  Though my cat really loved the flavor of TOTW, I transitioned him to Evo.  TOTW helped my cat in that the diarrhea went away but I noticed that he was still vomiting fairly regularly (no scarf and barf and no furball).  When I transitioned my cat fully over to Evo the vomiting stopped.  I think that it might have been the carbs.  The Evo grain-free, high protein, low carb  kibble works best for my senior cat.  I also give him wet food, but the kibble is his part-time food.  I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

pyewacket7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 7 cats and 4 have bloody stools from eating Taste of Wild,also from 4 Health and Diamond,all of these foods are made by Diamond,fed Wellness,3 cats developed UTI's,not sure what I am switching to, but it won't be a Diamond product,also have 7 dogs,feed TOW,Diamond and 4 Health,also had runny stools will not be buying their products in the future.......