Tartar removal

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do the additives that you put in the water for plaque removal work? My cats teeth a pretty clean and I would lke to keep them that way. But those additives have be expendsive if used. So what to do? Brushing teeth isn't an option.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats would kill for a raw chicken wing.  She gets one each day, she crunches it down and eats all bar the biggest bones - she has the most beautiful clean teeth and not a hint of bad breath.  Each wing is 20p or so so it's hardly an expensive thing to give her.

I have no idea if the additives work or not - I've never seen them on sale in the UK but maybe I never looked very closely.

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do the additives that you put in the water for plaque removal work? My cats teeth a pretty clean and I would lke to keep them that way. But those additives have be expendsive if used. So what to do? Brushing teeth isn't an option.

I'm not a fan of the water additives because they all contain sodium benzoate, which is potentially toxic to cats. Yes, it's a small amount, but I don't think we know enough about the effects of continuous long-term ingestion to say it's totally safe. Not worth the risk to me, when there are other options (such as feeding fresh resilient meats like chicken gizzards, or if your cat is willing, chicken wings/necks as OrientalSlave mentioned). 

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know anything about the water additives for cats, or for dogs.  I know I would be very skeptical about using any of them myself.  But that is just me.  I don't like the idea of added chemicals in my cats water fountains.  I feed feline Greenies as treats.  I have a lot of fun with them too!  I train the cats with them and we play hide and seek every night with them.  You can find more info about them here http://www.greenies.com/en_US/Products/FelineGreenies.aspx and here is a brief video on using Greenies Enjoy and have fun!  Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have about them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is why I came here first before ordering. Thank you. Their teeth look great. I just wanted to keep them that way