Targeted Peeing and withdrawn

wolfpatch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Background: I had a foster that has been adopted and would be around 14 months old now. She, unlike her brothers, was withdrawn and hid for about a week. She did not actively seek attention for at least 2 months after I received her. This passed and became a very loving kitten to me. She was still very shy towards people she didn't know. At one point, she had also started peeing on my bed where I sleep when I was not around. After a visit to the vet and changing sleeping in different spots on the bed, she peed in each of those spots later, I figured I was dealing with a form of separation anxiety. She was still using the litter box but would hit my bed at least once a day. I started playing soft music while I was gone, invested in a ComfortZone diffuser and started adding Rescue Remedy to her water.  Peeing stopped!  After a month, I discounted everything with no problems.

Today I get a phone call from the adopters. Has been peeing on the bathroom rugs, the inside door mat and the plastic under the bird cage. Also, she peed on the carpet where the husband sits. She has also become withdrawn. She wants nothing to do with the husband and burly allows the wife to touch her. She doesn't even come out for treats. At last report from the adopters, prior to this one, she was sitting in there laps and purring like crazy.

Of course, my first go to in cases of going outside the litter box is to rule out anything medical by a visit to the vet for a full exam. Nothing in the house has changed recently so I don't think that is an issue. I know many cats pee on plastic, had one that would hit every plastic bag after I went shopping and dropped one on the floor. Is there something I'm missing here? Does anyone have similar experiences in this?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I feel for you. It must be so difficult to nurture a cat for so long and then hear about such problems from the adopters 

Given her history with you, it definitely can be behavioral and not medical. However, the two causes are sometimes inseparable. Stress can cause UTI's and UTI's cause stress and both lead to litterbox problems. I think you have to ask them to take her to the vet and see if there's something there that needs to be treated. No way around it that I can see, even though it will be stressful for her (and probably them).

I have known cats who peed on plastic bags. I believe it was a form of territorial marking in that case, although the cats - both females - would not always take on the spraying position. It was stress-induced and then became a habit. From your description, I'm not sure this cat is fixated on plastic? You mentioned the carpet too?

In my experience, litterbox problems need to be addressed methodically. You have to go through the steps without neglecting any - 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/litterbox-problems-in-cats-the-ultimate-guide