Taramasalata And Onions

ollieblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Feline Friends,

Over the last couple of days, my two short hair females, 8 months and 18 months old, have had a little bit of taramasalata as a treat. I have only just realised that of course it has raw onion or onion powder in it.

Both cats seem fine except for a loose stool this morning and vomited food with a hairball in it. They are both still eating and drinking as normal. No other concerns.

So the 2 questions are|:
a) whether that vomiting was just the hairball or something more serious.
b) and whether, if there are no symptoms, can this do long term damage or can it just disappear of its own accord?

Thank you

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If that one episode of vomiting is the only symptom you have seen, then it was more than likely a mere (!?) hairball. Onion toxicity tends to occur over time, actually. Here is a comprehensive list of symptoms to look for:

"The symptoms associated with onion toxicity in cats are paired with those found in an allergic reaction caused by an ingested agent. Common clinical signs noted after a feline has ingested onion includes:

Panting
Elevated heart rate
Weakness
Hematuria (blood in the urine)
Hemolytic anemia (breakdown of red blood cells)
Heinz body anemia (breakdown of red blood cells)
Vomiting
Gastrointestinal upset
Asthmatic attacks
Allergic reaction
Liver damage
Diarrhea
Decreased appetite
Lethargy
Contact dermatitis (skin exposure)

Fainting

Read more at: Onion Toxicity in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost"

Since there are no other sypmtoms present, I'm pretty confident that all is well.