Tapeworm?

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a 3 year old rescue cat and adopted 2 kittens from a street during covid. Everything was going well after doctors visits, spaying and vaccinations... Then our older cat started having issues. First his 3rd eyelid started showing up really bad. We took him to a vet and he said it happens if kittens had diarrhea, which they did, some virus got on to him and it will go away on its own. Well, it did get better but not all the way. We tested him left and right: stool, blood... All was ok.

Now after 3 month from the tests I was cleaning his poop, which I try to clean right away, and I see small white warms squiggling around! :eek2: I am still in shock!!! I've never seen this before! Kittens' stool seems ok.
Anyway, Richi (older Cat) and the kittens have been also throwing up a bit for the last week or so. Probably from this. From some research it looks like a tapeworm. We took Richi's and one of the kittens' poop to the vet to test and still waiting for results... Hopefully in a day or so.
So, while we wait, I applied on Richi's neck Revolution, which my friend gave me, and gave the 2 kittens and their feral mom outside Tapeworm dewormer (by Bayer). I have no idea if the Revolution is ok in this case or not. Does anybody know? We went to a vet kind of late tonight after finally getting samples, and the vet was not there to ask... And is it safe to give Richi Revolution and some other dewormer at the same time? I was afraid to do so.

Also, does anybody know how contagious these worms are? Do they jump easily on to humans? We always wash hands after handling or even petting them... But they do sit on blankets, jump on out bed and such...

And, any recommendation on how to sanitize the house now? We do use some special vet recommended spray on dishes and cleaning their spots. Anything else we can do? I am so stressed about this! :angryfire: And disgusted at the same time! Please share your experience with getting worms and deworming. How fast does it usually go away? I gave the Revolution to Richi last night late and today he still had worms in his stool, even larger pieces. No idea what to do! RIchi is also so loving, wants to be petted all the time... poor thing. Is he in pain? Thank you for reading!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a 3 year old rescue cat and adopted 2 kittens from a street during covid. Everything was going well after doctors visits, spaying and vaccinations... Then our older cat started having issues. First his 3rd eyelid started showing up really bad. We took him to a vet and he said it happens if kittens had diarrhea, which they did, some virus got on to him and it will go away on its own. Well, it did get better but not all the way. We tested him left and right: stool, blood... All was ok.

Now after 3 month from the tests I was cleaning his poop, which I try to clean right away, and I see small white warms squiggling around! :eek2: I am still in shock!!! I've never seen this before! Kittens' stool seems ok.
Anyway, Richi (older Cat) and the kittens have been also throwing up a bit for the last week or so. Probably from this. From some research it looks like a tapeworm. We took Richi's and one of the kittens' poop to the vet to test and still waiting for results... Hopefully in a day or so.
So, while we wait, I applied on Richi's neck Revolution, which my friend gave me, and gave the 2 kittens and their feral mom outside Tapeworm dewormer (by Bayer). I have no idea if the Revolution is ok in this case or not. Does anybody know? We went to a vet kind of late tonight after finally getting samples, and the vet was not there to ask... And is it safe to give Richi Revolution and some other dewormer at the same time? I was afraid to do so.

Also, does anybody know how contagious these worms are? Do they jump easily on to humans? We always wash hands after handling or even petting them... But they do sit on blankets, jump on out bed and such...

And, any recommendation on how to sanitize the house now? We do use some special vet recommended spray on dishes and cleaning their spots. Anything else we can do? I am so stressed about this! :angryfire: And disgusted at the same time! Please share your experience with getting worms and deworming. How fast does it usually go away? I gave the Revolution to Richi last night late and today he still had worms in his stool, even larger pieces. No idea what to do! RIchi is also so loving, wants to be petted all the time... poor thing. Is he in pain? Thank you for reading!
If it’s tapeworms it has to come from fleas or an infested rodent. Usually you will see what appear to be grains of rice where the cat was laying.

A fecal doesn’t take long at all.

You should have waited for the results before giving your cat anything that is prescribed or that you don’t know if there is an interaction. There are different sizes of Revoltion based on weight. Revolution does not kill intestinal worms. You need to let your vet know what you gave and the amount.

Just continue to clean your litter boxes frequently and wash your hands. Roundworms can be transmitted thru feces eggs and larva

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I just reread your post did you give 2 doses of revolution in 2 days?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it’s tapeworms it has to come from fleas or an infested rodent. Usually you will see what appear to be grains of rice where the cat was laying.
I have no idea where he could get them from... All 3 of them are house cats and do not ever go outside. I do not see any fleas on them. I check almost daily... My only thought is, the feral mom comes by the screen doors sometimes and may have rubbed through the screen on Richi.... But I try to keep her away now after seeing this.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was this Revolution Plus tablets?

As far as sanitizing just basic claiming with warm water and detergent
No, Richi got Revolution once and 2 kittens and their feral mom outside got Tapeworm dewormer in their food 1 pill each.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea where he could get them from... All 3 of them are house cats and do not ever go outside. I do not see any fleas on them. I check almost daily... My only thought is, the feral mom comes by the screen doors sometimes and may have rubbed through the screen on Richi.... But I try to keep her away now after seeing this.
That’s all it takes. You can carry an egg in on your shoe though that’s not that common

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's fine to give Richi the tapeworm tabs. Revolution doesn't kill tapeworms.

Sometimes tapeworms don't show up in a fecal exam, really the best diagnostic is whether you see segments in their poop or around their butt.

The life cycle of a tapeworm is rather convoluted and you would have to consume an infected flea to get tapeworm yourself, so you're probably safe.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
No, Richi got Revolution once and 2 kittens and their feral mom outside got Tapeworm dewormer in their food 1 pill each.
Ok, sorry this is difficult to do from my phone.

My understanding is Revolution plus will kill tapeworms, but you may have other types as well.

Makes sure you know the doses you gave to everyone so you can inform your vet.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is Revolution plus will kill tapeworms, but you may have other types as well.
Not according to their website:
"REVOLUTION PLUS provides the broadest scope of protection in one dose, protecting cats and kittens inside and out against flea, ticks, ear mite, roundworms, hookworms, and heartworms."
Revolution Plus

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Not according to their website:
"REVOLUTION PLUS provides the broadest scope of protection in one dose, protecting cats and kittens inside and out against flea, ticks, ear mite, roundworms, hookworms, and heartworms."
Revolution Plus
Yes I just looked again. It does not cover tapeworms.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet might give you Droncit/Drontal if the fecal test comes back positive. But Bayer Tapeworm Tabs are exactly the same as Droncit so make sure he knows you already gave them those.

You usually don't have to re-dose tapeworm meds (unlike roundworm/hookworm meds) unless/until you see tapeworm segments again.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got a call form a vet! They tested both samples Pichi and the kitten and NO parasites were found!???? I am about to raise hell because I brought a bunch of worms to them last night in a bag! Has anybody had this experience? What did I pay for?
Do you guys know how they test it and for what? I have to get my thoughts together before I call back to the vet...

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got a call form a vet! They tested both samples Pichi and the kitten and NO parasites were found!???? I am about to raise hell because I brought a bunch of worms to them last night in a bag! Has anybody had this experience? What did I pay for?
Do you guys know how they test it and for what? I have to get my thoughts together before I call back to the vet...
I googled and didn't find a direct answer regarding tapeworms, usually they are diagnosed by seeing them in the stool

Tapeworms in Cats: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment.

No, I've never had this experience before. Were the samples in plastic bags to keep them moist?

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you still seeing them in the poop, on their anus', or dried rice segments on any furniture?
Oh, I saw them this morning in the poop... Just spoke to the vet's office again, after I calmed down a bit. they will call the lab again. they should have seem something and they did look for tapeworm it looks like. There is no way it was not seen.

NewKitty2019

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now they want Rishi to see a doctor too! I really don't want to bring him in because he acts and looks normal... They say they need to see the cat to prescribe! :argh: