TapeWorm meds worth it ?

MikaMomma27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just found out my cats have worms, I didn’t know they even had fleas!
they are strictly inside cats and I have no other pets, but all I’m more worried about it getting them dewormed. I’m wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this medication and brand I’d love to know how well it worked ! TIA

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can have worms passed on to them from their mother too. Regular wormers DO NOT kill tapeworm, so you need a separate one. I use a topical which I apply high up on the back of their neck. Profender. You do need a vet's prescription for that though. If your cats had fleas that is most likely where they got the tapeworm. They are passed on from ingesting the fleas when they groom, and the fleas are from rodents or rabbits which tapeworm uses as a 'host'. Tapeworms are not directly transmissible to humans from the cat. You would have to eat their fleas. Your medication should be fine, you might try hiding it in a tiny piece of cheese, or mix in a tiny amount of tuna juice. Lately I have just had the vet worm them, unless I have Profender, the cats are scared so take the meds much easier.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have my vet give any cat with tapeworms a Drontal injection. From time to time I have had tapeworms in my indoor only pampered cats. If fleas are bad, they can lead to tapeworms. Last year Advantage was not effective in this area; this year so far, so good.

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Praziquantel is what we used (injection) when I worked at the shelter. If they’re flea tapeworms it should work. If you don’t get rid of the fleas (assuming you haven’t already), reinfection is possible. You won’t see them pass the dead tapeworms in their stool but you should no longer see segments. So if the segments start reappearing they’re reinfected.