Tapeworm And Blood Clot - How Can I Help My Guy Moving Forward?

thatfilmgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After on and off peeing and defecating outside the box for a year (which at first we thought was a behavioral mad pooper now is a little more), our boy Poe was found to have tapeworm and an ultrasound revealed a blood clot in his bladder. He's been given an antibiotic and I'm to give him a painkiller twice a day.

The vet said that stress could have a hand in it. We're in the middle of a remodel, but I'm getting more feliway plug ins.

Does anyone have a little one who is prone to bladder issues and stuff? What can I do to help make sure/minimize this?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could well be stress. It affects cats in all sorts of ways, and the bladder is often one of them. If it is stress, there are two things that you can try, given that you are remodeling and the environment can't be de-stressed significantly until you are done. The first is to ask your vet about prescribing a mild sedative for the short term. It is usually Prozac in the appropriate dosage. The one I might consider starting with is 1-3 teaspoonfuls of chamomile tea, up to 3 times a day. It has a gentle calming effect, and is perfectly safe in that dosage, so long as you use only German chamomile, NOT the English variety. ALL commercially prepared tea bags are German chamomile. Simply brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and administer via syringe like any oral medication. It may just do the trick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thatfilmgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a week since we went to the vet for the diagnoses. He's peed on the front rug at the same time in the morning about three times since then. On Sunday, he also defecated. I noticed white pieces that looked almost like bits of white cat hair, but I'm assuming it's probably the tapeworms?

I noticed he used the upstairs litter box for pooping, and the downstairs one WAS full, as I had not the opportunity to get to it last night.

This weekend, Poe did watch my dad move furniture around but didn't run and hide. He seemed intrigued by all the commotion. Starting to get a little frustrated, but I know these things take time. He doesn't like people giving him syringes, and has never liked being too touched/petted on unless you're brushing him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That would be the tapeworms, all right.

I know about living with a touch-shy cat, although Hekitty has gotten to be downright snuggly in her dotage (don't tell her I said that, she's only nine years old).