Tape Worm?

TimmyJ

TimmyJ
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Timmy is 9 months old, male and just got neutered 3 weeks ago today. I got him at 4 months old and has been an indoor cat so far (until spring when I will start walking with him.) He had his vax shots and deworming meds (STRONGID) from Texas Coalition on 8/29/2023 and follow up on 9/16/2023-. He only eats a well cooked diet of chicken, which I sprinkle/mix with dried cat food, all mixed in chicken broth. Unfortunately I saw this white thing coming out of his butt yesterday and another one today. Last week there was one on the fur near butt area and one the week before that. They look like a small rice grain.
My question is - Is this tapeworm?
Secondly, if so, just how could he have gotten it, considering he is an indoor cat, we don't have visitors since we got him, he only eats cooked chicken, and gets a weekly bath?

IMAGE353.jpg

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would give it a strong possibility and contact my vet for treatment. If you can get a sample of the worm to show your vet, that would be great. Even though we only feed our indoor pets certain things, they police the house eating small insects we don't even know are there.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tapeworms require a different medication than other parasites. I'd definitely reach out to your vet or TCAP and see if they can give you something to treat them.

Also, are you adding something like EZComplete to his food so he's getting all the nutrition he needs from his food?

Fergusboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely looks like tapeworm egg case. Get some tapeworm meds from the vet and have his poop checked for parasites.