Tapazole for Thyroid

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

judy831

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Val and if you or anyone else has any ideas why my cat is limping I would love to hear any information. This is a new one for me and I am totally baffled.Since the vet did not think it was serious I feel a little better but seeing him limp around is hard for me to deal with and I just wish I knew what happened to him. I am going to search some cat sites for a possible answer
and I hope I will find some useful information about sore muscles in cats. I am glad you have good feelings about your vet and I hope your kitty will soon get the proper dose of Tapazole. Best Wishes always!!!

sarrett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a nearly 17 year old cat whose been on the generic version of tapazole roughly since it became available a year ago. He was on tapazole for about 5 years before that. Anyway, his thyroid level was high (9) and his vet upped the dose. When we rechecked, his thyroid was at 15! Right now, we're going to try putting him back on actual tapazole (not the generic)for a month and see if that changes anything.
Has anyone had an experience where the generic failed to work and only the original tapazole would work? I'm not holding out great hopes for this option but it's definately worth trying.

Thanks!
Wendy

martyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chiming in here to plug tapazole. My Scamper kitty died last December at the age of 18. He was on tapazole for many years or he would never had made it so long. I got the tapazole from dollar Drug - the cheapest drug store around here. I always bought it in the larger doses and then broke it up - cheaper that way. so, if he needed 2.5 mg per day, I would buy the 10 mg pills and break them in quarters -easy. The vet would prescribe 5's and I would tell the pharmacist - no, I want 10's. My vet just called the precription in to the drug store - it was much cheaper than getting it from him, but he didn't argue (he was still making LOTS of money off me - I had three pets get sick and die over the last 2 years.) They switched me to the generic one and I didn't notice a difference altho it was harder to tell since Scamper was slowly succumbing to kidney disease in his last year.

AS far as giving the pill: I would lay him on his back in my lap, gently crack open his mouth by sqeezing at both sides of jaw, then just drop the small pill at the back of the mouth. Presto - down it went - you need to practice good aim tho. Scamper got so used to pills twice a day for the last many years of his life that he hardly noticed - very easy.
Good luck!