Tap water or Other?

bengalsmum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi we have been putting our bengal kitten a large bowl of tap water out a day ( large as we know how he likes to play with it) anyway i have just read that most cats do not lke tap water and will try to drink water from outside such as puddles ect, but he is not an outdoor cat yet and might never be.
What can i give him? Should i stick to tap water or use cooled & boiled?
He cant have milk as it upsets bengals.I just worry that now he isnt drinking much because he hates it..

Thanks......

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go with bottled water or a fountain with a filter becuase our tap water in Chicago is apparently horrible and known to give cats urinary problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalsmum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im from the uk though but just read they hate chlorinated water thats why,Also is it okay to add a bit of water to their dry food? As sometimes i dont know if hes drinking enough, or will that cause the runs?

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalsmum

Im from the uk though but just read they hate chlorinated water thats why,Also is it okay to add a bit of water to their dry food? As sometimes i dont know if hes drinking enough, or will that cause the runs?
Give him some canned food. I'd love to offer suggestions, but I'm not sure what's availible the UK

bengalsmum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He does have kitten pouches of wet food but only once a day and a small amount as were introducing it slowly.The breeders told us to feed him dry all day make sure its always in his bowl and wet once evry 2 days slowly introducing it.Every site says different so its hard to know whats best when weve only had him a week but i know that his poops smells disgusting se my other post so anything that will reduce that will be good.
Does anyone know of a UK Cat forum then so i can get recommendations in our area?

Thanks again

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He does have kitten pouches of wet food but only once a day and a small amount as were introducing it slowly.The breeders told us to feed him dry all day make sure its always in his bowl and wet once evry 2 days slowly introducing it.Every site says different so its hard to know whats best when weve only had him a week but i know that his poops smells disgusting se my other post so anything that will reduce that will be good.
Does anyone know of a UK Cat forum then so i can get recommendations in our area?

Thanks again
There are several members of this site from the UK...Sunday is kind of slow, though.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks again
His poop will continue to smell disgusting as long as you feed him commercial foods. What brand are you giving him now?

bengalsmum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hes on whiskas what he was on when we got him, infact they said to get him any dry food as its all the same, but i have just got him a top brand over here Go Cat by Purina and tried him with a little mixed with his normal but he wouldnt touch it!
I know that the raw diet is supposed to be the best thing for bengals but he wasnt on that when we got him none of her cats were either and the preparation would be too much for me with having 2 children too, that sounds really selfish , i want whats best for him, But will ask our vets on tuesday when we go to see what they advice too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a pet fountain that is also filtered through charcoal but I still only use bottled water in that.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your cat should have the same water you drink - in an area where it is heavy with chlorine or calcium it is better to drink only bottled. If you are lucky enough to have pure spring or chemical-free water then use that. I know in the Uk I never drink London water - it is disgusting and you only have to look at the pipes to see the build-up of calcium which causes kidney problems in humans and cats.

cathystupak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. We found tap water to be a problem for our two cornish rex cats Jake and Callie. Three years ago we started giving them what we drink and I must say that their water intake increased! Which has been good for Jake as he has been prone to kidney stones! We give them distilled drinking water that we buy for ourselves anyway. Hope this helps youl

Cathy Stupak
http://www.pawssosweet.com
pet products for your dog and cat

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

hes on whiskas what he was on when we got him, infact they said to get him any dry food as its all the same, but i have just got him a top brand over here Go Cat by Purina and tried him with a little mixed with his normal but he wouldnt touch it!
I know that the raw diet is supposed to be the best thing for bengals but he wasnt on that when we got him none of her cats were either and the preparation would be too much for me with having 2 children too, that sounds really selfish , i want whats best for him, But will ask our vets on tuesday when we go to see what they advice too.
I have found that Purine One chicken is the only dry food that doesn't cause an un-Godly stench. Mind you it still smells, but not as bad as many of the so called premium brands.
Since you are in the UK, it may not be available, or if it is, it may be called something else.
Your bengal doesn't have to be on a raw diet, but it would be better for him. Possibly you can locate the Purina One.
I wish your breeder had the sense to realize, that "just giving him any dry food as they are all the same", is not a good thing to say to a new bengal kitten owner. If you switch him over to something else, do it gradually over a 3 week period.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My attitude is that if I don't drink it, my cats don't either. I get bottled water delivered every two weeks in those 3 gallon dispenser jugs. I drink from it, the cats drink from it, and I even water the plants from it.

The reason for the plants is that at first I used tap for the plants, and I noticed a white flaky residue forming on the outside of the terracotta pots... it's not mildew (i can smell that a mile away), so I'm thinking it's mineral deposits from the water... I switched to using the bottled water for the plants and no more of the residue has formed. If that's what's leeching into the pots from my tap water, no one in my household is gonna drink it. Heck no.

The cats do drink more of it, when it's bottled. As do I. Go with bottled. You never quite know what's in the tap water these days.

Amanda

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Congratulations on your new kitten. I'm in the UK too. I would say that it is Whiskas that is making your kitten smell, ours absolutely stank when I tried it. I feed ours James Wellbeloved dry food and wet Tinned or Pouches morning and evening, they also like Tuna in spring water or chicken left- overs(no bones) for an occasional treat.

Water: I bought them a cat fountain and a cheap water filter jug to filter the water before I put it in the fountain.

Hope this helps

Anne

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

The reason for the plants is that at first I used tap for the plants, and I noticed a white flaky residue forming on the outside of the terracotta pots... it's not mildew (i can smell that a mile away), so I'm thinking it's mineral deposits from the water... I switched to using the bottled water for the plants and no more of the residue has formed. If that's what's leeching into the pots from my tap water, no one in my household is gonna drink it. Heck no.
I get that same residue on my sinks....icky!!!!

chupi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - I'm from the UK too. We feed our cats water from the tap and its fine - if you're worried about the chlorinated taste to it, you can leave out a jug of it for a few hours to allow the chlorine to evaporate.

As for the smelly poop - thats to be expected on whiskas. We feed our cats a dry food called Nutro Complete Care - among other things it promises to reduce stool odour and volume (!), and it definitely seems to do the trick..

We have 3 kittens at home, and they have never had any stool problems as they were raised on this dry food, but our other adult cat was raised on whiskas and felix and had the most terrible poos, smelly and wet to boot!

Good luck, oh, and try these websites to have a look at good quality food:

www.zooplus.co.uk
www.k9capers.co.uk

We order the dry food in bulk so its quite economical too...