Tammat?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Does anybody remember Tammat? She used to post here quite a bit and then she stopped. Does anybody still keep up with her or hear from her? I'm asking because of the fires in Australia. I don't remember what part of Australia she was from and I wondered if she was OK.

Thank you.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
From her profile it looks like she hasn’t logged in for 2 years. She has her location listed as Victoria and yes, there are definitely issues there. It really depends on where in Victoria she is. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I know that the fires are horrid and animals are dying. And I know that we have people on TCS from that area. I hope everybody stays safe. I was worried about Tammat because I knew it had been a couple of years since she had posted and I didn't know if she was in contact with anybody here. Was just hoping she was OK.

Thanks, AbbysMom AbbysMom

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can the moderators perhaps search the database for a list of members who live in Australia, so we could tag them?

Margret

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The Moderators don't have the capability to do that. Many of our members also don't disclose their location due to privacy concerns and that should be respected. We do have members here from Australia that are active, but most likely don't know Tammat as she hasn't posted in two years. Tammat was mostly active in one thread and if you weren't posting in that thread you probably don't know her.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Please note that the majority of fires here are outside cities, where most Australians live.
Whilst they are terrible and very worrying, the likelihood of someone being very seriously adversely affected (loss of house etc) is minimal. Many people are affected by the smoke, depending on which way the wind is blowing. My doctor just told me that the incidents of asthma and sinus issues has skyrocketed.
We also have one of the worst droughts in history which has exacerbated the fires and the hardship. Some small towns have literally no water for themselves and their animals, so using it to fight fires is impossible.
So actual disaster occuring to individuals is small, but the nation's psyche is badly affected by this as it isn't just 'one of those years' where it's bad. The whole world can see that this is the way of things now. :(

And just backing up what AbbysMom AbbysMom said.. we can't monitor the locations of members, not would we want to, as there are huge privacy issues.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you gave us the inside picture of what's happening in Australia. It looks so bad on TV, especially with mobs of kangaroos jumping across beaches and people snatching koalas off burning trees. They give us a breakdown everyday of how much wildlife has been lost, and it's heartbreaking. Flaming skies everywhere.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Here's where they are at the moment (in the past 12 hours)

index.png

At the moment it's the worst in Victoria and NSW. A little over a month ago S E Qld had many (which is when we were so badly affected by smoke here, on the coast near Brisbane).

And because in some places they are burning right down to the beaches, the navy is rescuing people.

A friend who is staying with me has relatives who were stuck in the mass evacuations and took five hours to travel about 20 kilometres. The evacuations are made worse in coastal areas as it's our holiday season and many people head to the beaches.
Many people are without food and communications.

Our PM is handling this badly, but also it's so unprecedented that the guidelines simply don't cut it anymore.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Wow. I knew it was bad, but....wow. I had read that people were being told to get to the beaches and just go into the water. The amount of dead animals is heartbreaking.

It's really difficult to handle something like this, simply because there's just no experience with this magnitude.

I'm glad you're OK, mani mani .

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks Winchester Winchester .
There's a real sense of the enormity of it all over here... it's scary, unprecedented and absolutely needs to be addressed.