Taming my feral cat.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I am excited to be a new member here and get some guidance in taming my recently captured feral tom cat.

A little history in how I got interested in rescuing stray and feral cats. My wife and I love cats. When our two girls were young we bought two kittens from a pet store. Nineteen years later after exchanging a lot of love between the cats and our family the cats got pretty old and past away. This was three years ago.

Last spring a young stray(approx 2-3 yrs old) cat came to our door so we began to feed him. He was very scared of us and would run in the bushes if we went out on the back deck. What finally got me was his tiny little mew that sounded like a little baby 3" kitten. Well that pulled my heart strings and after four months of getting his trust and socializing with him in our back yard we adopted him. He turned into the most loving cat ever. I would clarify him as a fairly wild stray. We named him Tiger.

This spring another cat showed up but he was much different. I would put some food out and he would only come after sunset to an hour or two later. If he saw me watching him through the window he would run away and sometimes come back later. I fed him all summer in hopes he would come during the daytime so I could begin building some trust with him. Most every nite for seven months he would come to eat right at dark or a little latter just like a wild animal. I sat and watched him eat every nite he showed up. If I didn't and he came later the racoons would eat the food, so I was always there to chase them away. He is a tabby cat with a beautiful face that attracted us to him.

I want to say that I captured him rather than trapped him because I have an outside cat run that attaches to the house and window that enters a two story cage that are both 2-1/2' x 7-1/2' long.

Well, the evening of Oct.17th right at sunset he came to eat inside the cat run.

I built a drop gate on the right and set a food bowl inside. I had a pin with a string running to the window where I sat hidden back of some cardboard with a small hole I could see when he entered the run. He came in to eat, I had his favorite food, hard food mixed with some canned fancy gourmet chicken feast. He took one bite of the food looked around to see his escape route in case of danger and then took another bite of food and I pulled the string and the drop gate came down in the nick of time. A second later he hit the gate and he was captured. He bent some of the run wire fencing trying to get out. I had the window unlocked and with a pole I opened it through the cat run fencing. As soon as he saw the window open and the darkness inside he figured that was his escape route. He dashed through the window into the attached cages inside and I shut the window and he was safely inside with the least amount of stress.
I covered most of the screening on the cage with cardboard to keep him as calm as possible. The bottom level will be for Tiger my first cat after Tabby which we named this wild kittie gets the ok from the vet..

Today is his 35th day of capture and doing very well. I have removed all the cardboard from the screening. He can go into the two upper levels which has a hide cardboard box in them, a litter box and water at each level and the whole thing is carpeted. He even has a scratch pole.
He looked pretty sad the first week or so as the pix indicate.

One week after capture. (upper level of the two attached cages) You can see the top of the other hide box below.

Lower level area taken after 10 days of capture, he wasn't too happy.

This is his 27th day and he is much happier.

Today is his 35 day and he is on this routine for the last three weeks. I just free fed him but to get him to eat during the day only I feed him at 8am and 6pm, I talk with him at 1pm and at 3pm. I'm retired so I can do this. Lights, a 4-foot shop light, illuminates the cages. I have an amber drop plastic in front of the light to tone down the brightness a little. The lights are on a timer set to come on at 7am and off at 7pm. I have a 4-watt nite light also so it's not total darkness.

He seems to be coming along nicely giving him a lot to time and patience.

He greets me with hisses and long deep meows. Then he settles down to more or less regular meows with a few hisses inbetween. The other week I wanted to test his playfulness. I had a bamboo stick with a small cloth on the end and I wiggled it around in front of him in the hide box. Well, he slammed it and knocked the pole out of my hand. So I got a small fluffy ball and rolled it in front of the hide box opening. Bam, faster than grease lightening and with the force of a hammer the ball was gone. At that moment I had a different respect for this wild kittie.

The other day I went to feed him. I usually call his name several times with the kittie, kittie thing. I opened the door to the cage and showed him the food, his hide box opening is about 6 feet away. I was about to set the food down when he came out of the hide box headed for the bowl and was going to start eating before I set it down. Well, I immediately got my thumb out of the bowl. I had a flash back when he batted the pole and little ball away with the force of a stricking hammer. Fortunately he was only interested in eating his food.

Here are my near term concerns.
1.) Is there an advantage to get him neutered right away, which I assume he is still whole, in the taming process?
He uses the litter boxes nicely and doesn't spray. I really don't smell him at all. I know a lot of feral cats get trapped a neutered right away. I didn't feel I wanted to put him through all that stress right away.

I talked to my vet and he doesn't want to deal with a feral cat. He told me to get him tamed down some and make a dry run in the carrier and see how he does.
I did get his stool checked and it's ok and i've had him over 10days so he shouldn't have rabies. The only thing is the leukemia. I do keep my other cat upstairs away from him as a precaution.

2.) How long should I keep the hide box in the cages?
He does stay in there alot when he needs to feel a little more secure. He is though spending some time outside the boxes. If he is in the hide box the only time he will come out, when i'm there, is at feeding time. During feeding time if i'm within 6 feet of the feeding bowl outside of the cage he will go in his cage to clean himself after eating. If I go to the otherside of the room say 20 feet away he will clean himself in the cage after eating and then lay in front of the hide box.

3.) Should I push him a little with the play toy thing which he see it as a threat right now?

4.) Should I get closer to him while he is eating, which he will let me, but he will be under tension, or remain in his comfort distance like I am right now?

5.) What do you think of my setup? Is it big enough for now?
Hopefully, after he sees the vet and becomes a little socialized, I want to socialize him with my other cat. I also built a 2-1/2' x 6' run that I can attach to the lower cage of him upper two story home. The little run inbetween the cage can slide in an opening that can be removed in the cage door.

What do you think? Am I on the right track to tame this wild little kittie?

-Pete

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, I have to give you kudos for constructing what is probably the most ambitious and posh feral cat trap (or capturing device
) I've ever seen!
The construction of it is amazing!

Secondly, I think you are absolutely on the right track. You're following a routine, which ferals thrive under. You talk to him, and he is responding. Clearly he is not yet ready for play, but he'll get there!

As far as the neutering, I have always spayed/neutered right away. I do think you'll see a lessening of his aggression after he is neutered. Yes, it's stressful, but I'm wondering if it will hasten the process. Also, I've noticed that they're so happy to be "home" after their surgery that they tend to "open up" a bit more...you're what's familiar after their return.

It looks like that big beautiful tabby boy has it pretty good...now he just needs to realize it!
I'm also sure others will be along to chime in on the neutering question, and also to drool over your set-up there!

Please do keep us updated on his progress!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That really is an incredible set-up! I wouldn't remove the hide boxes at all - even our perfectly tame lap cats appreciate places where they can withdraw, and removing them would cause him far too much anxiety.

As far as neutering, the earliest you can do so is advisable, because it should calm him down and you will be able to get him tested for FeLV and vaccinated, but that "earliest" may be in several weeks or months. We had to wait well over a year before we could even attempt to get our last cat (long-time feral) to the vets'. Can you put a carrier in his cage, and put his food in the carrier every day? Getting him not to fear the carrier will make it much easier to eventually get him to a vet's office, and your vet should be able to knock him out while he's in the carrier. A carrier that is fairly "open", i.e., one that has metal grids at the front and top instead of a lot of plastic with slits, will allow the vet easier access.

Good luck with your beautiful boy!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow - Tabby is one lucky cat! I am amazed at that enclosure/new home. Jcat and Clixpix are right - the sooner the better for neutering. You've set things up ideally, too. He's got his routine and once he gets home, he'll be so happy to get back to that routine.

Bless you. Wish I could figure out how to clone you, so more kitties could benefit from you generosity and creativity!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

That really is an incredible set-up! I wouldn't remove the hide boxes at all - even our perfectly tame lap cats appreciate places where they can withdraw, and removing them would cause him far too much anxiety.
I agree.

One idea may be, you can perhaps take down your resident into the room, and cuddle and play with your resident where he sees you interacting?

I agree with you you dont want to let them mingle before the vet check up etc, AND neutering.
Although shy tomcats arent at all so aggressive to residents as non shy tomcats can be, beating them up...

Congrats to your exemplary work! Good luck!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

First of all, I have to give you kudos for constructing what is probably the most ambitious and posh feral cat trap (or capturing device
) I've ever seen!
The construction of it is amazing!
I must agree with this! Very creative - and just how wonderful!

I agree with the above advice to get him neutered sooner rather than later. Getting rid of those hormones does affect their personalities, they are relieved to come back to the place that is now familiar - and feeding him in the carrier is exactly what I always recommend.
(An open carrier helps, and making sure it does not smell like other cats or fear helps, so if you're using an existing carrier, wash it first). Also, spraying it with Feliway will really help.

Are you familiar with Feliway? It is a synthetic hormone that mimics the "friendly" markers in cats' cheeks. It helps calm and de-stress. This is not the cheapest place to buy it, but please peruse this site - lots of good info. You may also want to consider Flower Essences in the water of your feral baby. They don't always help - but when they work, they work. Here's the site: http://www.catfaeries.com

Your instincts are spot on. Doing things on a schedule is spot-on. In socializing a feral, the entire goal is to break the trust barrier. Getting them to associate you with good things is critical, and feeding them regularly really helps this.

Don't know if you're aware of this or not, but looking at a cat directly in the eyes is considered a sign of aggression. Of course, with cats that already love us they don't react that way - but with a feral, until he's over that trust barrier, it is best to look at him on the forehead or over the top of the head. Also, when you reach hands toward him for any reason (putting food in a dish or whatever), palm down is important.

...and just hanging out, reading out loud, talking to him, doing WHATEVER - just letting him see you NOT wanting anything from him is soooooo important to his socialization.

I LOVE the idea of having your other kitty down there with you - playing, petting, whatever. Our ferals all learned quickly by watching us interact with our other rescues. They learn that pets are good, brushes are wonderful, and we don't want to eat them.

I'd also get a t-shirt really good and sweaty, and put it under his food dish. This will help him come to associate you with good things.

But yes... leave him a place to hide. Preferably where he can feel safe peering out at you.

You're already doing an amazing job.

But if you want to read a quick thread on personality changes after neutering - while this is about a kitty that was already a pet, I think it'll help you understand how it can benefit your boy: Since being neutered....

Thank you for rescuing this kitty!

....and of course we're here for any and all questions! Keep up the amazing work!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, sorry, didn't answer all the questions.

1) Yes, there is an advantage to having him neutered sooner rather than later
2) Leave the hide box in there period. When introducing him to the house, and he's ready to be in a room, keep the hide box as his "safe space."
3) Don't push it with the play toy for now. If he was always feral, he won't know what play is (probably until he sees you playing with your other kitty). You can leave a couple of toys in his cage - but stuff he's familiar with. A pine cone or acorns or something. You may find them re-arranged in the morning.
4) For now, keep your distance during feeding. Maybe get another t-shirt all sweaty, and put treats down it for him. Right now, food is your friend. Most kitties go bonkers for baby food (we use gerber's chicken - it has no additives and chicken is easy on a kitty's tummy). Perhaps add a couple of "leave a small dish of baby food on a smelly t-shirt" times to the schedule. OR put it out before you're ready to sit down and talk to him or read a book out loud or something. When you do this, sit sideways to him, not "front" on. Less threatening. We normally advise people to sit on the floor (less threatening) - but those kitties are usually hiding under a bed or something
He's up, so sitting in a chair is fine.

5) Your set up is GREAT and he has plenty of room! Cats are all about territory. In the wild, cats live in very small spaces - they have large territories, but this is because they need them to hunt. Kitties do just fine in small spaces if properly stimulated. ...your boy doesn't know what play is, so I wouldn't worry about it right now.

Just FYI, our seven are all feral rescues. We live in an RV that is 38' long and 8' wide. We've created a lot of vertical space for them. Cats live in a 3D world, so your set up is perfect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
clixpix, jcat, Ondine, StefanZ

Thanks so much for your kind words, comments and great suggestions, just what I was looking for.

It's funny when I built the double cages, my intent wasn't to use them to capture other cats but to provide and nice home for Tiger my 1st stray. So when the second cat came along, my feral, I thought the double cage setup would be ideal to use for him. So I wound up building another cage at the bottom to eventually house Tiger. I also built the attached screened run to get the two cats socialize together with the wire barrier to start with.

Yes, that's a good ideal to leave the hide boxes in there, I think he needs them to feel safe.

I have a racoon trap that I could use to trap my cat inside the cage to get him neutered, blood work, etc. I will have to talk to my vet and see if he is willing to go that route. I agree it should speed up the taming process. I can see now it's going to take some time before he will he hand held. Although, he has changed for the better so much from day one.

I think he would go right into the trap if I put some canned food in there. I can use a stick and string and get him as soon as he get into the trap. I like that idea, I was worried how and when this was going to happen. Now it doesn't sound too difficult. Once i get him in the trap i'll cover it with a cloth to keep him calm. I'll call the vet soon.

Thanks again for the great advice. I feel alot better now. It is quit a challenge taming a feral, more than first realized.

-Pete

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One last quick thought... if you're going to use a trap to get him to the vet, put a plastic tarp or doggie pee pads down on the car seat. He may poop and pee in fear, and it's much easier to clean up this way.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tiger is thriving under your loving care.

Tabby does not have a clue how lucky he is to have fallen into your trap.

I have rarely seen TCS's members, who do rescue, so excited about a members trap.

Your thread reads like a book, that I can't put down...
can hardy wait for more.

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! I am so impressed with your enclosure. Tabby will one day realize how nice he has it. He was a lucky boy to wonder into your yard. So was Tiger. What you are doing is great. You have received such great advice. I think the only thing that I could add is just be patient. I tried every single day for over a year to just pet my rescued feral cat. She would hiss and swat. She didn't mind me sitting near her, but touch her-no way! I just decided one day to leave her alone and let her come to me. And that is just what she did, she loves to be petted now.

Just be patient, it hasn't really been that long, Tabby will be part of the family before you know it. Keep us all posted on his progress.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! I like you already!!

Vets don't like to handle feral cats because they are obviously afraid of getting bitten by them. For vets that deal with feral cats, they typically inject them with a sedative while in the cage thru the wires. They will tip the cage up so that they are sitting in a confined space and they can get to them. Do you have a wire mesh cage by chance?

I agree with the other's advice: avoid eye contact, talk to them, leave his hidey hole in the cage, and have him see you interact with other cats. It sounds like you have a good routine with him, which is very important while socializing feral cats.

I'm assuming that you aren't going to attempt to make him an indoor cat, you just want him socialized enough to have him hang around?

I relocated a couple of feral cats to my property one time and used an enclosure that a kind woman donated to me. She had it set up with the "runs" coming out of the windows in her house into cages that were throughout her back yard. It wasn't pretty, but you'll get the idea from these pictures. I had the main cage inside my garage with a "run" to another cage in the yard. That way they could get used to both my presence and the property (not an issue in your case). The mother/daughter pair would only come out at night for a long time, and eventually the daughter would come out in the day.

Here's some pictures if you would like ideas. The cages were simply panels from dog crates, and the runs were made with a 2x10 or plywood boards on the bottom with welded wire forming a dome over the top. I actually had a very elaborate set of runs and cages that I could have connected across my back yard. Some of those spare runs are against my garage and you can see them in the first picture.

The daughter out at night:

The 2 girls out at night:

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very impressive and what a wonderful looking cat! Welcome to the site! I hope you keep us updated!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Pete, wonderful thread my friend...
thanks for share this with the site...

looks great your enclosure my friend..
nice imagination my friend!
Good luck and please keep us up-date about my friend!...

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi LDG,
Oh my, I think I missed your post last time. I don't think I saw it or we were posting at the same time. I'm a member of a turtle forum(turtletimes.com) and we don't get this many responses especiallyy all this quick. I also have a 40# snapping turtle in a 400 gallon tank in my basm't. I'm going to have to keep an eye out more often. I think I am getting back logged. But I do love this site.

WOW! thanks for all the info and links, there a great help. I did try your suggestion about the natural play toys this afternoon and it worked like a charm. I went out in the yard and picked up four pine cones and a little catnip I have growing in the back yard. I placed two pine cones at each level and the catnip in the cage screen at the lower level where Tabby was in the hide box. I had to change his water there so when I brought the water back to the cage and set it down I think Tabby, my feral ,thought it was a bowl of food. He came at me with his loud meow and I thought he was attacking me so I quickly set the bowl down. I was thinking water in the bowl and he was thinking food. It was one hour before his 6pm feeding.

He stopped short of the bowl and sat there looking at me as I stood next to the cage. Thinking he might play with his new natural toys or the catnip I proceded to the back of the basm't room some 20 feet away. I watched him for a moment as he sniffed the air and headed for the catnip. Well to my surprise he picked up his paw and began playing with the catnip branch. He swatted it into the air a couple of times and then began to chew on it. I just couldn't believe it. He was actually playing. I was feeding my snapper at the time so i went upstairs and came down to feed my turtle and check on Tabby. Well, to my surprise again the catnip was gone and both of the cones I placed in the lower level had been move at least two feet from where I placed them a short time ago. He was also playing with the pine cone. I still can't believe he did that. You were 100% right about using natural play toys for feral cat's. Thank you for that.

I like the T-shirt under the food bowl technique. I think he is catching on to where the food is coming from but the associated smell with sight should clinch it.

As far a neutering, I have a racoon trap with a front swing door at one end. I can put that in the cage and feed him in there to catch him to take to the vet. My vet isn't to thrilled about feral cats but i'm going to talk with him soon on this method of putting him to sleep in the racoon trap for blood work and neutering. I agree with you, this should be done soon. I know he will fight it but in the end it should be alot better for him as far as the taming process.

Laurie, thank you so much for all the info, links, etc. I really appreciate it and the time you spend typing to everyone here on TCS. Don't your fingers get soar some times? I'm going to copy your posts to keep as a reference.

-Pete

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sharky,
Glad you like it. It was alot of work but the cats like it and that's what counts.

-Pete

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
KRZ,
Glad you like the enclosure. It worked out great and the kitties like it.

WOW! a year working with your feral and not touch her. That's a long time. If Tabby takes that long I think I would bring my lazyboy chair in the basm't next to his cage and sleep there. What I did with Tiger was after he got the nerve to come inside the house was to lay down beside him on the floor just inside the back deck sliding door and sleep with hm for an hour at a time. He soon got to where he wasn't afraid anymore. Yes, you are right. Patience is key.

-Pete