Taming Feral Kittens

mkc61187

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently trapped two feral kittens and also took in their stray mother.
I believe the mom was dumped on my street when she was pregnant.
I have had the kittens for about a week and a half and am trying to tame them so I can find them new homes.
20180912_203327.jpg
I have 12 cats of my own so cannot keep them. They have had their first set of vaccines and deworming and are scheduled for their neuter October 5th. They're about 3 months old. The mom is being spayed also. The mom is sweet, so I don't think finding her a home will be too hard.
The problem is, I am having trouble taming the kittens. I took in a feral kitten about the same age 7 years ago and she took to me almost instantly, but will to this day run and hide if I try to approach her. She comes to me fine on her own terms.
One of the new kittens will play with me and purr when I hold him, but the other runs, hides and hisses whenever I come near.
I so want these babies to be able to have a home and not have to remain feral. Any tips on taming them would be much appreciated.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of patience and some time. They were taught early to be quiet and hide. The earlier you get them, the easier to socialize. It can be done though. I find it helps to keep them in an area with few hiding places but give them one place that is just for them. A carrier works well for me but it can be a box, cage or anything you think will work for you. I make it a habit to call them by name for all meals or treats. If you can find a food the kitties really love you can use that to lure them to you. Chasing a cat or pursuing it , even slowly , will make them head the other way if they are wild. Getting them used to coming to you voluntarily may be hard at first but it really makes all the difference in their future adoption hopes. I use lots of things they like as a lure. Food is number one. Things like warm meat baby food, tuna, canned chicken and Carl Buddig ham have helped me lure many! While they are eating it helps to sit with them. This is a great time to bond with them. At first I sit still but gradually , over many days, I move in closer and eventually graduate to touching their back without them seeing that I am doing the touching. When they enjoy the feeling they let it continue. When they first see it is me and not another kitty they may bolt. That’s okay. I wait until they are totally relaxed again before attempting another touch. If they are to upset by this I stop. I may use a wand from a toy to try touching and scratching. A small brush is a favorite here and has convinced more than one cat or kitten to come to me. I often spend time just laying with a kitty. No intrusions on my part. Just keep them company. They may get curious enough to come check you out. I also leave a shirt I have worn out for them to lay on. They get used to my scent. Luring them to climb on me by pulling a toy over my leg helps them get used to me. A piece of ribbon works well and takes minimal movement on your part so they are not scared of your moving hands or arms. Try to imagine if you were a tiny cat and a person approached you. It would be scarey! Once you convince them to come to you then you can work on petting. Then move to picking up. If they want to jump away, let them. Just keep practicing the picking up over and over. Some cats never accept picking up but it may be willing to climb onto you. The ribbon trick can help them with that. Luring across your lap may lead to them sitting on it. I find that if I lay on the floor near them with a blanket over me they sometimes lay on the edge of the blanket. It gets them closer! A lot of people have used soft music to calm them. I will tag a friend for more suggestions. I am so glad you are helping these kitties. Beautiful kittens! I have 15 of my own and do rescues too. It’s a great pleasure to meet you. Welcome! :rock: Furballsmom Furballsmom @tarasgirl06 @surya any suggestions to calm a wild kitten and lead it in to be loved?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
They are gorgeous, and look rather wary of it all.
Jcatbird Jcatbird has provided excellent tips, as always. :sunshine:

Not so much to tame them but to help calm them which can be a step in the right direction, can you play either classical harp music which is known to relax cats, or use the app Relax My Cat, kusc.org, or MusicForCats.com
All the very best to you :) !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mkc61187

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again, I wanted to thank everyone for the tips given a few months back. I did put a lot of these into practice and these babies are doing so well.
The black one (Loki) has found his home with my sister and her husband and four kids. He adores the children and takes turns sleeping in their beds each night. There is absolutely no sign that he was ever feral.
Thor (grey tabby) is still living with me, but is doing so much better. He still runs when being approached, but will snuggle up next to me on his on terms. He's still looking for his forever home.
I'm so very proud of these kitties!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news. You have done an excellent job! Loki is no longer feral! That picture is priceless! A testament to what love can do. Ferals can be tamed! It sounds like the tabby is well on the way too! You got Mom adopted too?!?!? Awesome. It’s so great to get fantastic news. Thank you for letting us know and for the photo. Happy child and happy cat! Best kind of photo! :bunnydance::banana2::dance::woohoo::dancingblackcat: