Taming Adult Ferals

skor220

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ronkonkoma, NY (suffolk county; Long Island)
My taming concerns lay more so with the adult cat. I've taken in the one (due to medical necessity). He is quite happy to be indoors - but only when he is in his own room (he has a bedroom to himself).

I know that time is the best thing and he has already come such a long way. (he purrs now, makes bisquits/muffins, and will play a bit too) Any advice on helping him feel more at ease when he ventures out of his bedroom would be welcomed :)

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Patches came in as a reverted feral (indoor cat gone wild outside) and what helped her the most was making friends with one my very socialized cats.   She just followed her around and knew that if her buddy was calm and safe that she was too.   They first made friends by playing with their paws under the door.    I've read of others here who installed a screen door in place of the solid bedroom door and that helped the feral kitty to make friends and feel more a part of things.   Your kitty sounds like  he's doing great!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If possible, one might consider cat door to be installed to door, of course not always possible.

Great thing is that they can spy trough the flap and see when things are quiet, then explore around without anyone noticing, Also would be nice for later to have litter box in bathroom and kitty could walk from own door without need to keep bathroom door open.

My Mauku is adult feral learning to be indoor cat and cat door worked great here, her room is actually bigger than mine, she did spy almost constantly from the cat door about month or so before starting night time visits, now she prefers my room, mostly because in her room there is no heating, and it is mostly playroom and litter box room currently for them. But ability to see out from the room cat is in would be great thing, even if cat door would be locked at first until everyone is used to seeing each other and such door.

Installing could be bit problematic as cat would be needed to be some quiet and safe alternative place during installation.

Or then start leaving door bit open during the night, but this would mean that if you have other cats they should be kept somehow separate so that introduction does not become intruder wars. Of course sometimes other cats accept newcomer easily, but not always, so better not to risk it.

I did attempt slow introduction but these guys all were bit too enthusiastic and they decided to run to each other at first opportunity they found, then some shy sniffing and they were as much friendly to each other as they are now, 6 cat pileup in single cat bed is common, I have no idea how they manage to fit without squeezing bottom ones, but somehow they like from such, silly amount of animate legs and tails during dreaming cycle.