Taming A Feral Kitten

juliet mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I recently agreed to foster 3 kittens for a month that were born feral and bottle fed. They are now about 7 weeks old. Two of the kittens are super tame and friendly. They love interacting with people and my other 2 older cats. The third kitten, however, is still kind of wild. In the almost 2 weeks that I’ve been caring for her, we’ve gone from her hissing and hiding in the back of her kennel, to her allowing me to handle her. At first, I was keeping her in a large kennel in my guest room, but it was pretty much fully enclosed and dark, so I moved her to my living room and a larger open kennel. But, as she didn’t have the room to move around and run, I felt really bad for her, so I bought one of those outdoor pet tents and set it up in my living room. It’s quite large. About the size of a child’s tent. I’ve been getting inside of it with her, and everything was going well enough that I decided to let her out with the other kittens into the rest of the house. As soon as I did that, though, she immediately ran and hid, only coming out when she thought I wasn’t there or to eat and use the litter box. I lured her back into the tent with food, but I can tell she really wants out and to be with the other kittens. What should I do? Should I let her run around the house, knowing that I can recapture her if necessary, or should I keep her in the tent where she can’t hide from me so she gets human interaction? Keep in mind that this tent is fully mesh, so she can see out all the sides. It’s essentially an outdoor play tent for pets. She has plenty of toys and a litter box in there as well, and I put the other kittens in there to play with her periodically.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you put her and the other kittens in just one kitten-proofed, no hiding places room for their interactions and playtimes? That way, she gets to socialize with them and you don't have to worry about her getting hidden away. That way, also, she can watch you interact with the other kittens, and hopefully see that you aren't a scary monster, but a super cool human. :catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliet mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, that’s why I got the large cat tent, and it worked wonders! I put her in my living/dining room so she could see us all interacting. And I would also put the kittens inside with her for playtime. They also play with her from outside the tent, and she has so many toys. Everything was good. But now, being in the tent seems to stress her out. She paces and cries and digs at the zipper. When I pick her up, she purrs and is sweet, but as soon as her paws touch the floor, she’s gone. She seems happier out than in, and she comes out to play, but darts away if I approach. I’m wondering if maybe she’ll warm up to us if I just let her be?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, that’s why I got the large cat tent, and it worked wonders! I put her in my living/dining room so she could see us all interacting. And I would also put the kittens inside with her for playtime. They also play with her from outside the tent, and she has so many toys. Everything was good. But now, being in the tent seems to stress her out. She paces and cries and digs at the zipper. When I pick her up, she purrs and is sweet, but as soon as her paws touch the floor, she’s gone. She seems happier out than in, and she comes out to play, but darts away if I approach. I’m wondering if maybe she’ll warm up to us if I just let her be?
I'd probably leave her out to play with her siblings. No harm in trying it for a few days or a week. Her more-friendly siblings should help teach her that "humans are cool".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliet mc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! That’s what I thought. I’m not worried about her getting inside anything where she might trap or hurt herself. She’s more skittish than terrified by this point. She may come around as she gets more comfortable, and I’ll keep offering treats and toys when she ventures out