Taming a feral 2 year old kitty boy

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh that is so wonderful!!!!!!!
A purry boy.
Things sound like they are going wonderful with him! And he is living up to his name.

for a smooth trip to the vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I finally touched him

This morning at breakfast he came and rubbed himself against me and I just leaned over and pet very gently his head. He was just a bit unsure, I did it again abut he moved his body so that I pet his back. So I petted his back
He has the softest fur that I have ever touched, it is pure bliss. He was purring too while I was petting him and looked up at me and there was no fear in his eyes, just love. After a couple of minutes of petting he wanted to eat and when he was done he went into his cube and watches us clean his litterboxes. I can't believe that he allowed us in his world and there are no words to express my joy!!!

Tomorrow we have to go to the vet, I hope he will not lose his trust in us. We have been talking to him about the visit for the past couple of days and kept reassuring him that he will come right back to his safe room.

Leo came up to the gate last night, hissed a few times and sat at the gate looking at Sweet Pea who was in his cube towards the middle of the room. The night before Leo came at the gate and put his paw through the gate; Sweet Pea walked towards the gate attempting to touch it but Leo hissed so Sweet Pea walked away.

We definitely noticed the boys are jealous of the change in the household. Tubi and Leo pick on Chloe and she gets very scared (Friday evening during a fight incident she peed herself from the fear, I felt so sad for her and helpless). The thing is that she does not think to fight back, I am not sure if she freezes with the fear or she is overwhelmed with their physical strength. Leo has always chased after Chloe but Tubi never did. Tubi loves Sweet Pea but he does not like the attention and time that we spend with Sweet Pea. They all get extra attention and love and playtime, we have Feliway and use herbal essences, kitty trees and lots of toys through the house, I am not sure what else we can do. It is difficult to say the least...I keep telling myself that things will work out in time but I am worried. I just don't want any of them to feel frightened, that is a terrible way to live...Life is bittersweet isn't it?

Marina

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just.... Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Yes, I'm sure the resident cats are feeling... the change.
Sounds like a little bit of re-directed aggression. for Chloe. If you see them start to go for her, try to redirect them with a wand toy.

Keep up with everything you're doing - especially the extra play time. This, more than anything, helps work off the stress energy.
Just keep talking to them and telling them they're still your #1 kitties and no one will take their place in your hearts...

It will work out!

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Laurie!
You are a wonderful lady!

I have been a mess the whole weekend crying my eyes out because I am so worried about our little baby girl Chloe. And this morning when the petting miracle happened my heart was joyful and sad at the same time and I felt very guilty about it. The sadness is for Chloe.

These past two months I took a semi-sabbatical from my work so that I could take care of all of them; there was no other way we could do it. We keep telling the four resident babies that Sweet Pea needed a home just like they did and he showed up in our backyard for a very special reason, to become our furry child just like them.

We will keep playing with them and will add a play session early in the morning after they eat and before the work day begins.

I will post tomorrow when we come home from our vet. Joe was telling me yesterday that Dr. W. will be the first to pet Sweet Pea first but obviously the baby boy had other plans

Marina

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
for tomorrow at the vet!!!

Things will work themselves out in the household. It's just like when people have kids and have a new baby - dynamics need worked out.

Sweet Pea sounds like such a sweetie pie. So glad to hear you got to pet him!!!

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was a disaster, we could not get him in the carrier. We tried to coax him with the cardboard panels. He started flying on the walls trying to get out the window just like in the first incident we had two months ago. He sprayed out of sheer terror and trying to get to the window he scratched (not on purpose) Joe on the head. Did the growling and the hissing with the spitting thing.

He is terrified now and I am afraid all his trust is gone. I am absolutely devastated and desperate right now.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh no!
Things will be ok - hang in there. He just got scared. He will calm down. There will be good days and bad days - be strong during the bad days. for you and Sweet Pea.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh sweetie, I am SO sorry. He will calm down and forgive you - it's just like kids getting mad at us for doing what's best for them.
When socializing ferals, it's often three steps forward two steps back - and this is just one of those set-backs that couldn't be avoided.

So - it sounds like you weren't able to get him in the carrier to get him to the vet? If that's the case, it'll just have to wait.

At this point - I'd probably consider getting a different carrier altogether. One that is a completely different size - maybe a pretty large one. Don't forget - Sweat Pea lived in a cage for quite a while, so he doesn't have happy associations with them to begin with. If it's roomy and new and sprayed with Feliway, maybe it'll be a bit easier on all of you.

Just keep talking to him.
Tell him you're sorry and why you were doing it... he'll come back around.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think a new carrier would be a great idea so he doesn't have those negative associations. If he has a towel with his scent on it, you could put that in the new carrier too to help get him used to spending time in it. Would he go for treats if you put them in the back of the carrier so he could walk into it? Maybe see if he does that for a few days before making another appointment.

Hang in there - for you and Sweet Pea.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, a bed or towel he's been sleeping on is a great idea. And maybe remove all other hidey boxes/crates/carriers whatever from the room, so that's his only place to go. (Do this after a few days pass).

... and if he won't use it, move his food in there. He'll learn that nothing bad happens to him in there. Once he's using it for a week or more, then reschedule the vet appt.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, I was finally able to get myself back together and check the thread. I am sorry if I was not clear in the morning but I could barely see the screen from crying. Thank you both from the bottom of my heart for caring so much, it means the world to me!

We did not expect this at all. Sweet Pea has been sleeping in that carrier for four weeks now; he has his blankie inside and the feliway plug is pretty close to it. This carrier was his safety place long before the kitty tree became one.

We removed his bed, his cube and his box but he just did not want to go in the carrier although it was the only closed space left to go into. I covered his tree with a sheet so that he would not be tempted to jump on it. He kept running around the room, jumped on the sofa and everytime we would coax him to the carrier he would jump over and run like crazy. I have been feeding him next to the carrier gate for days too. I think he knew we would close the carrier door and he panicked that we would keep him in there; he associated the whole think with being kept in the cage. God, how I wish that I could erase his first month with us from his memory!

We coaxed him with the cardboard and used one of the wire mesh gates that we put for introduction to block one direction of running. The wire mesh gate was in the room and that was the only thing we could think of to use on top of the cardboard pieces. Now he may be afraid of both the cardboard and the wire mesh gates, we will see!

And we talked to him over and over again about the reason for the trip; we told him that he is always safe and that Dr W knows all about him and she loves kitties, and he will be back to his room sound and safe...

I called our vet and asked her if there is anything we can give him to sedate him if we simply can not put him into the carrier; she said she can give us a pill but it's bitter so it has to be hidden very well in food (he does not like pill pockets).

We will look for another carrier that looks very different from the ones we have, I will see what I can find and let you know. I will make sure to spray it with Feliway and I am thinking to spray the wire mesh gates too, it can't hurt.

My poor husband looked like a character from a horror movie with blood dripping on his forehead and face. He has a long scratch on his cheek but it will heal. Sweet Pea was on the couch and jumped on my husband to get to the window, that is how it happened.

I cleaned where he peed with Urine Off but the room smells a little, I don't know if it's in the air or I missed a few drops somewhere.

I will take his poop sample to the vet tomorrow to have it checked for worms.

He is eating so I am happy about that!

I am exhausted and worn out, but tomorrow will be a better day!

THANK YOU again for all your help and love

Marina

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah, he knew.

Well, if the carrier has been his safe space, maybe just put the room back the way it was and give everyone a breather for a while - and next time, instead of the new carrier (if he's still using the old one again as his hidey place) - try NOT removing everything from the room. Do nothing to "tip him off." In fact - doing a lot of breathing exercises the day before and morning of to calm yourself. And maybe read a bit of book out loud to yourself, and just do your best to not think about it or worry about it - nothing that would send any signal to Sweet Pea that something's up.

The pee of fear is stronger scented than normal. You may have to treat it again - though it usually takes a while to dry completely. I've never used that product so have no idea how well it works. But most products require another application, so I wouldn't be surprised.

We have two kitties that are very difficult to crate to get to the vet. But we don't leave the carriers out. What we started doing was putting out the carriers several days before we had to go - and just never speaking of it during that time, not even when it was time to crate them. We worked out a kind of code (which involves me grabbing Gary's hand, walking him to a clock and pointing at it the day of and time to get going) - and just did our best to put it entirely out of our minds, because I'm pretty sure they can read our minds!

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our little baby was at the door this morning when I went in with breakfast and he was all over me for asking for pets. I simply could NOT believe it! I really thought he would not want to have anything to do with me (us) for a long time. But he circled me over and over, rubbing himself against my legs and purring his heart out. I petted him for a good 10 min on his back and on his head, giving him chin and cheek scratches. He wanted pets before he wanted food!!! We were BOTH IN A BLISSFUL STATE. He forgave me
How can this be? Another miracle for sure

He is not going yet to Joe...

Laurie, yes Sweet Pea knew allright what was going to happen. Are you able to pick up your two babies and put them in the carrier? It is absolutely amazing how intelligent they are and they definitely communicate telepathically. I always say that kitties are much smarter than most people I know...We will focus a lot on the karma next time and will not take anything out of the room, definitely...

I keep finding pieces of scabs in the room and have no clue where they come from. I haven't felt anything on his back, sides and head. They are not dry blood like, kind of hard to explain...

Marina

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I knew he would forgive you!!!!
Oh that is wonderful! I bet you are thrilled.

Would you be able to post a photo of the scabs?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the two kitties that were a problem both had to stay at the vet until they were well enough to come home, so before they were socialized at all, getting them back to the vet wasn't an issue. Flowerbelle had to be medicated once she was home - but again, she was so sick, she didn't fight it.

...but when it did come to getting them to the vet, once we located them we were able to get them into the carrier. They were MASTERS at hiding - which was when we started putting the carriers out in one room several days before. Came time to crate them, we'd call them all for treats, close the door - and nab 'em.

But Flowerbelle is definitely telepathic. She is deaf. When we lived in a house, the bedroom was on the 2nd floor - stairs upstairs were on the other side of the living room from the kitchen. Flowerbelle's favorite place was up in the top basket of a cat tree up there.

We'd sometimes give whoever was in the kitchen some treats - not calling anyone. EVERY single time, Flowerbelle would show up, running.

How did she know? There is no possible way she could hear!

That's when we decided she was telepathic.

...and I must say... not talking about the vet for a few days before going and not THINKING about it - immediately diverting my attention if it popped into my head - really seems to have made a difference.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Patches meowmie, I will post photos. They are very dry and dark in color and I am pretty sure they do not contain blood or infection. I saved some pieces to take them with me today to show our vet (I took his poop sample which came back negative) but somehow I misplaced the baggie.

Laurie, that is incredible! Absolutely Flowerbelle is telepathic (she is compensating bigtime for the loss of hearing). I just love stories like this...
Oh boy, you have had some very sick kittens didn't you? Tuxie was sick also when he came home...

I love Flowerbelle's name, it is lovely!!!

This is a funny story. Our RB Heidi spent a longtime almost three years at the local HS; she was a character and a princess and they allowed her to live in their conference room. Therefore she got to eat people food all the time and got used to it. She loved ham. When she came home we had a very hard time with this habit. We could not say "ham" because she would show up at our feet in a split of a second. Then we started spelling h-a-m thinking she will not figure it out, but nope she knew all right.

Marina

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's hysterical! They are amazing, aren't they?

...and Tuxie was one of the problem kitties!
He and Flowerbelle were just amazing when it came to hiding. I was convinced he'd somehow gotten out of the house once.
(Once he was on a teeney weeney corner of a windowsill behind a curtain - such a small space it never occurred to us to look there.
The next time he was up in one of the recliners - and we didn't even know there was a way to get under it, let alone up in it.
).

But yes, other than our first two rescues, the rest all had problems. We kept the special needs kitties or the ones that would be handing someone a massive medical bill.
...the exception is our last, Billy. We just couldn't find a home for him and had to separate him from his brother - and just could not bear to leave him outside alone, especially since he seemed so sweet and friendly. In fact, now that I think about it....as it turns out, he had giardia, so had we not re-trapped him for the thorough vet exam prior to bringing him home, he probably would not have survived last winter.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tuxie and Flowerbelle must be small kitties to fit in those tiny places (or did this happen when they were still kittens)?

Yes, they are amazing and complicated for sure...

Marina

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, I have an answer for the scabs. Sweet Pea must have a keratin horn on his paw and he is picking at it. We took Sammy in today to see Dr W since yesterday I noticed a pretty big growth next to his ear on top of his head. It must have grown pretty fast because we have never noticed it before. I showed Dr W Sweet Pea's scabs and she said it's a horn, nothing to worry about.

Dr W did not like some cells she saw in the sample so we sent it to the pathology lab. We have to wait a week or so to get the results back for the sample from Sammy's growth. Another thing to worry about...

The intros are trying. For two nights in a row when Leo comes up in the hallway and starts hissing and growling ( I think it's a growl but am not sure, it is a strange sound), Sweet Pea gets scared and hides behind the door or goes on his kitty tree. He looks soooooooo sad. He tried to even show his belly to Leo and folded his pawsies but Leo hissed at that too...He also wants to come out of the room (probably wants to investigate the rest of the house) and play with Tubi and he cries when Tubi walks away from the gate. So I just don't know what to do different to help them all...

I promised the babies that I will finish my avatar and siggy and told them to be understanding since there is so much to do all the time...

Marina

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear the scabs are nothing to be concerned about!!!!
I hope the lab results for Sammy turn back fine.