Taming 4 Feral Kittens

FourFeralKittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and have been reading like crazy. As you may notice, english is not my mother language, sorry if I make any mistakes in that sense. Here is my story: I have always been a dog person all my life. Never really liked cats since they unpredictable and I was really scared of them UNTIL I saw this beautiful gray cat in a gas station. She had the saddest face I have ever seen and she was also very hungry. I bought some food that day and fed her. Since I go there everyday, I started feeding her every day, she was always there same spot like waiting for me. This is an area with busy roads, so I moved our meeting place. All of a sudden she invited all her friends. I started feeding them all and started doing TNR. I loved our situation, they did not want me to touch them I did not want to touch them BUT I love these cats so much...and have cried more tears since I feed them than in my whole life. I have mourned each single death and have been devastated every single time one of them dies. To make the story short, one day I saw Bella and tried to let her know that a car was running fast and to not cross the street, I felt I scared her and she was hit. She immediately went into the woods and I tried to follow her and saw her limping until a point I could not see her more. She had 4 very young kittens and they started to show up at dinner time. I promised them that I would take them out of the streets and found a home for them. So we trapped them last week, 2 of them had tnr since there were only two appointments open and am going to take the other two next week.

Here is my actual situation: Kittens have been moved from the traps to a closed enclosure and the 4 of them are in there. There are in an empty bedroom, sharing it with my cat (former stray since 6 months ago), settled in that enclosure. I moved them yesterday to that bedroom and have only been there feeding them and talking to them while I do that. I am going to start sitting with them while they are in there reading talking to them very slowly and very calm for about two weeks before letting them out of there. PPl have advised me to keep them in there for that period of time until my cat gets very familiar with their scent etc. Now, why do I keep the cat in there and not in all my home. I have a cat aggressive dog, he just hate them, so they take turns to be in the whole house. As you can see I am not an expert in cats, all I know has been taught by my stray. I need all the help I need. 90 percent of ppl say that it is impossible to tame four kittens 4 month old to make them suitable for adoption. I need this to work I made a promise that I want to keep, but you are the experts, is this possible. I cannot keep them, I need to make them adoptable. Please help me help them thank you

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for caring for these kittens! Four months old is still young, so given some time and patience, they should socialize and adapt nicely. This article: Saving Feral Cats has a section specifically about taming feral kittens.

Please do keep us updated! I’m sure everyone would love to see pictures of the kittens, if you have any.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FourFeralKittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for caring for these kittens! Four months old is still young, so given some time and patience, they should socialize and adapt nicely. This article: Saving Feral Cats has a section specifically about taming feral kittens.

Please do keep us updated! I’m sure everyone would love to see pictures of the kittens, if you have any.
Thank you I will check on that article. I just have these two pictures when they were trapped

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for feeding the ferals, and especially for rescuing and neutering poor Bella's kittens. You have already done so much towards making their lives better.

I don't have any experience with ferals, but follow these threads regularly and so am learning from reading.

This article pertains more to adult ferals, but might have some helpful ideas: Handling Feral Cats

Hopefully some of our more experienced posted will see this thread and offer suggestions. Good luck.