Talkin' bout catnip!

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What brands do you use? I'm still learning but so far Nano's favorite is "Pet Gold Catnip Organic Treat For Cats". I also use "Whisker City Catnip Mist" as a spray but she doesn't seem as keen about it. I also have a bag of ground "Catnip" (homegrown?) that I got in a complimentary grab-bag for donating to a local shelter but haven't tried to use it yet. What brands work well for you?

How do you store it? I store all the catnip in a cabinet that is cool and dark. hissy suggested to me that I keep them in the freezer for better freshness -- but is that for store-bought catnip or for homegrown stuff? The commercial stuff has already sat on the shelf for months, and now I guess it is already too late for that bag of homegrown catnip I got in the gift bag.
But I could start doing better in the future.

Does anyone grow catnip? I don't have any garden space but if there is a way to grow it inside using trays I could give it a shot. Or do people order fresh catnip direct over the internet?

Any other ideas about catnip?
I'm just looking for basic information and what has worked best for other people.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to try and grow some catnip this year, so I don't have any experience with it as of yet. Currently our cats seem so prefer "Kookamunga Catnip" - 100% natrual (not sure what else would be in it!) but the kitties love it.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend grew a good-sized plant in a hanging basket a few years ago. It's still going (the cats are indoor only) and the hanging basket keeps it out of the way of the other cats.

My kitties usually get Cosmic Catnip. When I misplace the container, they get whatever brand the grocery store has. They don't seem to notice the difference.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My oldest likes all the organic cat nips ... I use only the spray for younger one she is hyper as it is

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catnip is a favorite topic here
Over the years I've tried most of them. My favorite grower is Kooky Kat - a Canadian company with fields in BC and WA state. Organic or natural...they take their time with how the harvest their catnip and buds, and it's just awesome.

The other line of catnip I have had excellent response to is Ful Circle Herb (makers of Hot Cats).

I have not yet grown it, since I have a lot of it in bulk here - stored in my refrigerator. Biggest tip I can give is that catnip is uv sensitive...so store it in a non-clear jar or package, as well as keeping it cool. Freezing is recommended for large amounts that you have on hand.

I prefer leaf and flower, but my absolute favorite is either stalkless mulch catnip or kooky kat's organic catnip buds. I also make good use of catnip oil in water sprays, it helps rejuvenate old toys, renew interest in cat scratchers and beds.

You get a lot more mileage so to speak with a pinch of buds

If you can not grow your own, look for a brand that comes direct from the grower and is not likely to have been sitting in a warehouse and then shipped to a store.

Other brands I like a lot - Mt. Lion (Kitty Jones brand) and Montana Catnip by Westpaw are two more where the product is grown and harvested by the company selling it.

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Finnegan LOVES Kookamunga He'll get the bag down himself and chew it until its all over the floor and roll in it til he's covered lol we also planted some but i dont know what brand it is.

winwin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are fortunate that two of our three, Boots excepted, have the catnip gene, and are extremely active with it.

We use the store-bought stuff, (don't know the brand) and keep it in sealed cottage cheese "buckets", and it lasts for a while.

I have a big (getting bigger) patch of it outside, and they like it green.

We also grow Oats for them, and give it to them when the Oat grass is about 3 inches high, and they love it.

Speaking of affinities, Tico is the only one with the milk-butter gene, and when I have cereal for breakfast, she has to have her own bowl of milk next to me, or she will stick her paw in my bowl.

They are all different, aren't they ? (But they're ALL loveable ! !)

Leonard

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies and I will be looking for some of these brands the next time I am shopping for supplies.

milopixie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every cat I know goes crazy for Cosmic Catnip. It comes in a little plastic tub and it's lasted quite a while from my experience.

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some Kookamunga Catnip in a little tub, I sprinkle some for Guin every now and then to send him into ecstacy...

Yesterday, I bought the catnip bubbles for him hehe... atm, he can't work out what they are..

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and I forgot to add...
do you find that Catnip is expensive ie: when you buy a brand that is all ready for the cat etc?

I find it is in London

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by milopixie

Every cat I know goes crazy for Cosmic Catnip. It comes in a little plastic tub and it's lasted quite a while from my experience.
Not my guys...and I converted my fil who felt this was the best catnip in the world...heh heh heh...he wanted to know what the heck was in the stuff I sent

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All you guys are lucky. None of my cats have EVER liked catnip! I have had 5 cats that I can remember growing up, and they payed no attention to it at all. We have always had it and tried it but never gotten a response. I have bought sprays, leaves, even live plants, and they have always been ignored. I hear of these cats that go crazy with it, but I have yet to see it.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

All you guys are lucky. None of my cats have EVER liked catnip! I have had 5 cats that I can remember growing up, and they payed no attention to it at all. We have always had it and tried it but never gotten a response. I have bought sprays, leaves, even live plants, and they have always been ignored. I hear of these cats that go crazy with it, but I have yet to see it.
That's because not all cats have the necessary genes to respond, it really is a question two things - usually they must be at the age of sexual maturity to respond as well as having the appropriate genes.

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well all of our cats have been fixed... does that have anything to do with it? Just once I want a cat that goes nuts over the stuff... until then little foil balls it is.

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For an update, I went shopping but sort of messed up. I found "Kookamunga Catnip Treats" but it turns out they are (as the name says!) crunchy treats -- not actual catnip.

I also found Cosmic Catnip.

I will work my way up to some of the other suggestions. It takes time to give each of these a shot but I am trying...

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxy_loves_CJ

well all of our cats have been fixed... does that have anything to do with it? Just once I want a cat that goes nuts over the stuff... until then little foil balls it is.
Sorry, I missed this! No, it's a question of how old they are, not whether or not they are fixed
I am here to attest that altered cats who are catnip responders, do so with great enthusiasm...just ask Alix!

Alternatives to catnip to try with non-catnip responders are honeysuckle and valerian cat toys.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the folks that want to try growing it, just a friendly warning, this stuff is a mint and like any mint can be EXTREMELY invasive. I was pulling catnip out of a patch of zoysia for years until I solved the problem by moving! The cats liked it though
!

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any other ideas about catnip? I am about to go shopping for supplies again sometime later this week.