Talk about bad customer service!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that customer service is important but I would also ask how your friend spoke to and/or treated the waiter. It's a 2-way street and having a daughter in customer service I've heard some horror stories about how the public sometimes treats the persons doing the service. Some are very condescending and nasty. As a waiter, if someone was rude to me about the food or drinks which I personally did not prepare, I would probably ignore them as well.

I had a waitress one time that fairly drooled over my husband and catered to his every wish and treated me like I was invisible. When the bill came my husband handed it to me and said, "Thanks honey for the treat". The look on the waitress' face was worth a thousand words. I left her NO tip, not a penny and told her why. She just shrugged and said "whatever".

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ewwwwwwwwwww, so they were like fruit flies, right?

Sign of a very unclean bar, or bartenders not cleaning up completely. I mean, the floors back there get so sticky, they're supposed to clean the matt completely, pull that up and clean the floors underneath completely, the sinks, the outside of the bottles.

So many lazy bartenders.

Refund was in order and deepest apologies, that's for sure.

It seems that since jobs have become more scarce, people are hiring the less-abled for much cheaper, so the services is much worse.

Sorry to hear this happened!

Julie O'

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

She's also an inexperienced drinker and asked the waiter what his recommendation would be.

Not sure why you laugh when asking the question about how long ago I bartended. Franky it's irrelevant, customer service is customer service. A customer based company will not stay in business without the customers.

Everyone seems to have forgotten several points, some I mentioned, others I didn't in this thread, but I will list them now:

1. We were seated at a booth in which me, a large person could not fit into so I had to ask for a chair so I could sit on the end of the table. The waiter just stood there while I looked around for a chair to drag over and sit on.

2. A table behind us came available prior to our drinks having arrived. Because I was uncomfortable and somewhat embarrassed to be sitting at the end of a booth table, I asked if we could please change to that empty table behind us. The waiter had the table cleaned, no cutlery or anything added to it, and told us that we could move whenever we wanted. We both stood up to move. The waiter ignored us and began cleaning the booth where the parents band baby had been sitting. My friend and I carried over our own coats, cutlery, menus, and I even had to drag the chair I was sitting on to the table.

3. Yes, the first drink my friend was given was sent back based on a bad combination of mixes and tasted funny. She was not charged for the drink, and shouldn't have been based on my past experiences at other restaurants and the policies of restaurants/bars/lounges that I either worked at or managed during my time in hospitality.

4. There was a fly in the second drink that was given to my friend. No apologies given. It was just taken away and a new drink offered to her, by which time she was completely turned off and decided that she wasn't going to try another one and would stick to water.

5.She was ignored for the entire evening after she sent back the drink with the fly. Completely ignored.

6. The manager refused to do anything about the experience other than to say that she wasn't charged for the drink with the fly in it, and that there was nothing more that she could do.

7. On the way out, my friend asked the hostess for the name of the manager above Steph. Meaning the General Manager of the restaurant, not the shift manager. She would not give the information and when my friend said that she could easily google the information, my friend was told that she should do that.

To me all of that adds up to black marks on the place, and the head office needs to be aware of things such as that. Restaurants are in business because of the customers. If the customer isn't happy, that's one less customer feeding their profits. And word of mouth is a powerful thing.

Some may feel that our experience there was appropriate and dwell on the first drink that was sent back, but that's their opinion, and if those people work in the hospitality industry, I would make darn sure I wouldn't go to a restaurant that they worked at if they feel that our experience at Moxies was up to par with excellent customer service.
No need to get offended. If you reread my first post I already agreed with you about the hospitality. I didn't feel a need to go on and on about it.
I agree, though, that the waiter was rude.
I only questioned why you are so adamant that the restaurant should absorb the costs of an unwanted drink, although they were clearly not at fault for that. Because you believe this is common practice, would you have expected that drink to be free if the events of the evening were better? It seems like that is what you are saying.

As far as why I laughed when I asked you how long ago you bartended, we are approximately the same age, I bartended a long time ago, as I said in the post you quoted. I moved on to another field and figured the same was likely true for you since I know you work in the health industry now. The laughing was a friendly laugh because (I thought) we had some common ground there. You don't have to answer the question "how long ago did you bartend?" I was just curious.

A lot of things have changed in our world, including the hospitality industry. I illustrated this using the example that bars used to give away the last shot in the bottle. Many can not afford to give away product anymore.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went to KFC Friday to bring home some chicken. My dad loves their chicken so I thought that would be a nice treat for him. I ordered the family bucket and three extra legs. My daughter will only eat legs. I get home and there are no legs. I paid close to $5.00 for those three legs. Yeah, its not a whole heck of a lot of money but I didn't get what I paid for.

When I called them they told me they would take my name down and give them to me next time I come in. Uh....no. Either my name will not be taken down or I will forget about it. The KFC is way out of my way to go to and I don't frequent it much. I called the main office and they are supposed to be sending me some sort of certificate.

I did have a very good experience with Amazon.com though. I had ordered a game through their warehouse and everytime I checked my order it was in the process of shipping. This went on for a week. I called them up and there was some glitch in the order. They gave me priority shipping so it will be here tomorrow as well as refunding half the cost of the item. That is the kind of service that will keep me coming back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we went back tonight.

The GM from the restaurant gave each of us a $25.00 certificate to entice us to go back and give them another try.

The food is excellent. But darn! The servers attention to detail is just lacking!

I can't fit into the narrow booths, so we asked for a table. Imagine our surprise when we were taken to the same table that we were at the first time. And that the waiter was the same too!

He didn't let on knowing us, so we didn't say anything. We figured that he didn't remember us.

Anyway, I won't make this long. We were seated and given menus. No water or drinks were offered to us. We had to ask for water. And each time our water glass was empty we had to ask for it to be refilled. I ordered a cocktail and after asking for it 3 times, it finally arrived. There was no cutlery on our table, and I had to get up and pilfer from another table when our food arrived. They brought my friend her entree and brought me my salad, but never brought me my entree. When I asked about it, the waiter said he was going to get it "right away". He had completely forgotten to place the order for it.

By the time my entree arrived, my friend had finished eating so she sat there while I ate.

The shift manager stopped by our table and apologized and gave us our meals and drinks free. I told her that we had certificates that we were going to use and she told us to keep them and to use them another day.

It was very nice of her but my friend and I were surprised that they gave us free meals because they missed my entree, but they wouldn't do anything for when she found a bug in her cocktail.

The free meal tonight was because the waiter did remember us. He told us at the end that he did and was so sorry for our experience the last time, and that he was so upset that we had come back for a second experience and that he had forgotten my entree. We thanked him and told him to not stress himself out about it and things like that do happen.

My friend and I decided that we will use the certificates another day, but we are up in the air whether it will be at that location or another one.

In 2 weeks we're going for Sushi. Well, she's having Sushi and I'll have something else from their menu because I am not a fan of Sushi.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Speaking from a customer service reps point of view, even though I work in retail and not food service, they generally remember a customer that they've had problems with. We have one cashier at work that gets so flustered when we have a customer in that's caused a scene or had a problem before that she tries to rush and forgets things because of that. It's not something that should happen, but it does and I understand why. It can be a very stressful job. I'm glad that he remembered you and tried to make it right... was it the same shift manager as the last time as well?

Since you have had two negative experiences at that particular location, I would go to another one and see if it's better. The Keg near our house has horrible customer service and the shift manager is horrible - he's been there every time we have, but the one downtown is much better in regards to service and there tends to be fewer families there. We don't go to it as much because we either have to take the bus there or pay for parking... if we're really ambitious we walk there and bus/cab back.

Was it a gift card specifically for Moxie's or was it one that you can use at other places?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nerdrock

Speaking from a customer service reps point of view, even though I work in retail and not food service, they generally remember a customer that they've had problems with. We have one cashier at work that gets so flustered when we have a customer in that's caused a scene or had a problem before that she tries to rush and forgets things because of that. It's not something that should happen, but it does and I understand why. It can be a very stressful job. I'm glad that he remembered you and tried to make it right... was it the same shift manager as the last time as well?

Since you have had two negative experiences at that particular location, I would go to another one and see if it's better. The Keg near our house has horrible customer service and the shift manager is horrible - he's been there every time we have, but the one downtown is much better in regards to service and there tends to be fewer families there. We don't go to it as much because we either have to take the bus there or pay for parking... if we're really ambitious we walk there and bus/cab back.

Was it a gift card specifically for Moxie's or was it one that you can use at other places?
Different shift manager. And the card is for Moxie's specifically.

I love The Keg! But the situation is similar here. It's really hit and miss. The one downtown near me is pretty consistent for bad food, but their customer service is pretty good. The one I tend to go to more often is the opposite. The customer service is good, but the food is very hit and miss. One time you can go and get excellent food, and the next time, not so good.