Tales you were told as a child and believed!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's also the "bloody mary" one, where you turn the lights off and look in the mirror and say "Bloody Mary" three times, Queen Mary comes through the mirror and kills you. I don't think I could do it to this day.
I forgot about this one. I would refuse to look in mirrors for about a year after my friend told me this. I was so scared. I dont think I could do it to this day really. I would be terrified something could happen. LOL

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

1) If I swallowed a watermelon seed, a watermelon vine would grow out of my ears!
My dad told me that it would grow in my stomach!

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BarbB

My dad used to tell my youngest sister they found her somewhere as a baby
; talk about childhood scars LOL.

-Chewing gum would not digest and would build up in my stomach larger and larger if I swallowed it;
-Frowning would make your face stick that way.
LOL! My Husbands Mom used to tell him that they found him on the side of the road next to a Dead Racoon, they took HIM home because HE was more lively...

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

There's also the "bloody mary" one, where you turn the lights off and look in the mirror and say "Bloody Mary" three times, Queen Mary comes through the mirror and kills you. I don't think I could do it to this day.
LOL! I was the only one of my friends that would actually DO it. Cause I didnt believe it for a second.

*then I'd FREAK em out & scream* & they'd all scream... wooo, that was SO much FUN.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I was no fun as a kid -- my father had introduced me to scientific reasoning so early that I never bought into those stories...

Except once, when my maternal grandfather (who was a hoot, and I adored him) told me that if I cut my hair with pinking shears, it would get curly! I had board-straight hair, so I really wanted to believe that one!

So of course I went inside and asked Grandma if she had any pinking shears. When she asked why I needed them, I explained what Grandpa had said, and she marched over to the back door and hollered, "Daaaave? What nonsense are you telling this child?"

All we heard from the back yard was Grandpa cackling and slapping his knee...

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parents used to tell my sister and me that they'd sell us to the gypsies. I don't think it was if we were bad. They would tell us this every night before bed. Actually, I don't remember if I believed this, but they did tell us this for years.

I barely remember them doing this, but they'd play us the War of the Worlds Orson Welles radio show, and convince us that we actually were being invaded. Apparently they did this more than once (we must have been very young), and they still think it's hilarious.

Oh, and I still believe the Bloody Mary thing. My sister and a friend did it once in Elementary school 13 years ago and still swear they saw her.

Tricia

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was about 5, I was with my sister, who is 6 years older, in the backyard digging a hole in the snow after a big storm. She told me that if I dug deep enough, I could go visit the land of Oz.

...after about 2 hours of digging she felt sorry for me and told me she was just kidding...