Taking Your Cat's Picture

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three cats - two kitten sibs, and my 3 year old male Bombay. I can get great head shots of the little guys. They could care less, and will ignore the camera all day. But my big boy will just run out of the room as soon as the camera comes out of the case! I have no idea what negative association he is making. I just can't get a good picture of his face. Only pictures I can get are from a distance of him sitting or lying down. Even those are tough (if he sees me). What's going on??

missm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what could be going on, but you could try feeding him (maybe treats) while the camera is out - that way he could start associating the camera with yummy things

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put the camera in the middle of the room and just leave it out a few days. He'll always see it and sniff it and verify it is not a Decepticon transformer in disguise.

Mine ignore the camera now, but getting sleeping shots of them is almost impossible.

Makes me want to invest in one of those superzooms!

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take whatever pictures you can take from a distance and then, using software, crop them. The end result will be terrific pictures.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Put the camera in the middle of the room and just leave it out a few days. He'll always see it and sniff it and verify it is not a Decepticon transformer in disguise.

Mine are so used to having the camera stuck in their face, they pay no mind to it anymore. Parker actually sits still until the camera "clicks" when the picture is done.

But yeah, the camera in the room for a while might help. Even put a few treats near it, so he will want to get closer.

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you have on your camera a Zoom feature, just get as close as you can (nonchalantly(sp?)) and, in the highest pitched voice you can, continuously go:

"beeeeeeeeeee beeeeeeeeeeeeee beeeeeeeeeeeeeee beeeeeeeeeeee beeeeee
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeee beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee beeeeee
b bb beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebeee be beeeeeeeeeeee beeeeeee beeeeee"

Works every time with my cats! lol

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for getting a shot of his face, have you tried using food/treats or toys to get his attention in front of the camera?

For whatever reason your cat does not like the camera, obviously.

A few things to try (that I did with the nail clipper
)

Don't have times of "camera away" and "camera out-" leave it on a space the cats often pass, (like on the floor if you can remember it's there and not step on it
), a counter, coffee table, whatever, so your kitty knows it's not a grenade or anything.
After kitty decides the camera won't kill him, give him a treat for looking at the camera while it's on the floor, for walking toward it, for sniffing it, anything.

Do this really slowly and progress doing that until you can point the camera at your cat without him running.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turn off the flash. It will take time for him to realize he is no longer blinded when you point that box at him, but after a while he'll stop looking away.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Turn off the flash. It will take time for him to realize he is no longer blinded when you point that box at him, but after a while he'll stop looking away.
Great suggestion, plus pictures always look better in natural light anyway.

Whenever I take pictures of my furkids, I always have a toy to get their attention. Usually the little toy wands work great, or something that makes noise.