Taking our cat to the emergency vet after giving Drontal

kittyroara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're taking one of our two cats to the vet emergency right now because we gave them both Drontal around 1pm and an hour ago (nine hours after dosage) she is having trouble walking, jumping a foot off the ground, and she looks like she feels gross - lethargic and unhappy facial expression. I'll keep people posted about how it goes. I read another site (http://www.drugs.com/vet/drontal-praziquantel-pyrantel-pamoate-tablets.html) that talks about 'transient ataxia' - which is clumsiness or lack of coordination. It seems to be mostly affecting her back legs. She hasn't thrown up or had diarrhea, and is not salivating like some of the other sites I found talk about as side effects. I'll update soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyroara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet checked her out and thinks it's probably some ataxia from the drontal. She was comfortable sending her home with us tho. Temperature is normal, pupil dilation was normal, fromtal leg reflexes were normal, just back leg reflexes a little weak/delayed. She seems a bit better (stronger) since we got home (she tried to run up the stairs with a playful 'brrrrrttt' noise, which is her standard 'it's time for bed' reaction) so we're going to keep an eye on it and if she's the same tomorrow, take her for IV fluids to flush out any remaining meds. Phew! They really should tell people about this risk when they give out the meds! Thanks for your prayers.

hobo08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is good news that they sent her home. Hope she gets it all out of her system and I would make sure they put a note in her file about her reaction to Drontal. Continued healing prayers.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
kittyroara, welcome to TCS.

Just wanted to point out that you tacked your post onto a thread from 2003. I moved it, and the replies, to its own thread where you're likely to have more people looking at it.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad your cat is recovering.  My vet never gives Drontal now, partly because they are so huge for a cat to swallow.  They get Milbemax instead which are far smaller.  The advantage in the UK of Drontal is that it's an effective wormer that doesn't need a prescription whereas at present Milbemax does.  One of the active ingredients is the same as Drontal, the other is different, so it might be worth switching next time.

BTW I think the salivating with Drontal is just after administration as it tastes so horrible...

silverleica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad to hear your cat is recovering! Btw, did you give her the correct amount of Drontal she need to take? 1 tablet of Drontal is for 4kgs weight.. (if in lbs, that means around 8lbs? Sorry here use kg as standart measurement of weight lol) so if your cat is less than 4kgs, you will need to 'cut' the tablet based on her weight..

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad to hear your kitty is recovering :rub:. It might have been to high of a dosage for you cat to tolerate :(. How scary for you too :hugs:. Keep us posted on her :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

smartie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can I ask if your cat recovered OK. We too dosed ours with Drontal today. One of them is also rather wobbly on her feet. We've spoken with the vet and he just said to keep an eye on her. He didn't mention about ataxia, I've just searched around the internet and came up with the same page as you did and your posting.