Taking my parents cat to my home?

maxamillion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all my parents have a cat that has been with them for roughly 10 years. Roughly 2 weeks ago, his brother passed away to kidney failure, so it is noticeable that he is a little off with his behavior. My parents will be leaving town today for roughly 2 weeks and I am wondering if I should bring the cat to my home with some of his items for comfort or should I just pass by the house each day to feed/water/litter and play with him for a little.

He's a great cat, but I feel that it might stress him out a little too much with his brother passing away recently and his change in behavior to this. I have no issue with swinging by each day for half an hour, and I would not mind having a guest in my home for 2 weeks.

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless he has been to your house before, and knows and gets along with your cats, I recommend you leave him in his own home and stop in every day.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
by the way, you might pick up a feliway plug in diffuser for him, or some rescue remedy, it will help him with stress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxamillion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No he has never been to my home. I think it would be best if I just swung by each day....keeping him in his element. What's a feliway plug in diffuser/rescue remedy? I'll research it...sounds interesting!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxamillion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In regards to the feliway, this is for my parents home for him so he feels more at ease, correct?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You would plug in the feliway in your parents' home, preferably in the room where he spends the most time. It can help to calm and de-stress a cat.
With Rescue Remedy, you can put a couple of drops in his water each day, or just rub it on his ears. It works differently than Feliway, but has the same effect, relieving stress. You can use both at the same time if you want.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxamillion

In regards to the feliway, this is for my parents home for him so he feels more at ease, correct?
yes.
Keep us posted!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might also want to be sure to have some of your parents' dirty laundry (shirts or pjs) for him to lay on or near. Also, maybe a small stuffed animal to be his "friend". Leave some classical music playing for him, too.

I can't imagine having my best cat buddy die and then my humans leaving me for two weeks. Be sure to watch him for signs of illness and depression. The feliway will help with stress and anxiety.