Taking Mom to the Cleveland Clinic

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't said anything on here about this, but here is the back story. Mom suffered a mild heart attack in August. She has a bad aortic valve and honestly, it needs to be replaced. So, lots of back and forth on what to do and where... and we have an appt at the Cleveland Clinic next month for an evaluation.

Any Clevelanders on here? Any recommendations? I know there are hotels on the CC campus and I am looking into those. Not sure how long we will be there on this visit... hopefully only a couple of days.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Addie
I'm a Clevelander, well, SW suburbs, but still Cleveland

I agree with Farley, you can't find a better hospital than the clinic
I know they will be able to help your mom. If you have any questions about the area, feel free to send me a note

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I do hope her appointment will offer some solutions and hope to you and your family. The Cleveland Clinic is a wonderful hospital -- the doctors there saved my mom's life not once, but twice. She had a heart attack at 40 and a quadruple bypass at 47. She was a lucky one and I do believe her doctors at the Cleveland Clinic are the reason she is still here today. And, I have been a patient there myself as well (and my doctors are all affiliated with the hospital). So, in that end, I think you're making a wise decision bringing your mom to the Cleveland Clinic.

I live in Cleveland. I'm not from here originally, but have been here coming up on 9 years. I live maybe 15 minutes from the main campus of the Cleveland Clinic. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to let me know. As far as hotel recommendations, I've never stayed at any in the downtown area, but I could get some information on them if needed. I can also offer other suggestions as well. Just let me know.

Many vibes and well wishes are being sent your mom's way (and your way as well) . And, again, if you need anything at all, just let me know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone!

She is 86 and frail. Which makes this all the more difficult! Her cardiologist trained at the CC, so he knows everyone there. This is no small, easy surgery. Aortic valve replacement has a high mortality rate, but even more than her dying on the table, which is a very scary thought, is if there is any brain damage from being on the heart-lung bypass! There is documented evidence of everything from memory loss to full-on strokes.

I told my siblings to me the worst-case scenario is we make the valve a-ok... but she comes out of this a vegetable or something.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dad has juvenile diabetes, and at age 64 required quintuple by-pass surgery. I don't remember - but it was long - like between 8 and 10 hours. He turned 79 this past Sunday. He is definitely suffering problems with short term memory loss, and it started about 10 years ago and has slowly gotten worse. I don't remember the statistics on the heart-lung bypass, but problems with short term memory are VERY high among that group.

that that would be the worst case scenario and none of the other possibilities!!!!!