Taking kittens away from mum

justjoops

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi any help please .... I have 6 week old kittens that are going to be rehomed within the next couple of weeks.  My concern is that my mother cat is just so protective of them, so adoring to them, she just loves them so much I don''t know how I am supposed to let these kittens go?  Will she look for them? Pine?  What is the best way in your opinions to take them from her? many thanks, Jusine

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't give many details.  However they are only 6 weeks old so it is normal for mom to be protective of them still at this age.  Breeders say to leave the kittens with mom until they are 3 months old but you make it sound as though as soon as they are 8 weeks old, they are outta there?!  I hope you will reconsider.... Especially if you want more successful adoptions to happen.  The kittens will learn from mom and eachother a lot in one more month that they need for a successful and happy life. 

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the double post but I really hope that you consider keeping them until 10 weeks old... It is just an extra 2 weeks.  From previous posts, I think you are trying to rush nature.  That is not good.  It is a myth and a bad one I might add that kittens are ready as soon as they are weaned.  This is not so.  If you adopt them out too early, they could become very frightened and unsure cats.  In some cases, their physical health will be affected.  This will make for unsuccessful adoptions.  So please just let nature take it's course and give the mom her time to do her job... 10 weeks old is good if you desperately need to get them out.  But, 12 weeks is the recommended. 

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. Kittens are not like puppies - they need to stay with their mother for a while after they are weaned. This teaches them social behaviour that it is very difficult to learn from humans. Often behavioural problems like biting or aggressiveness can be traced to being taken away from mom too early. Sometimes it is inevitable, but if at all possible they should be with their mother and siblings till at least 10 weeks.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep my girls with their kittens for the full 12 weeks (registered breeder) and the kittens leave over 5-7 days so mum doesn't suddenly find herself without kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justjoops

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok thank you.  I have someone who is really pestering me to let me have the two she wants at 7 weeks.  She keeps going on that she has talked to her vet and the vet says it is okay for them to go at 7 weeks.  I don't want them to go early but she seemed so sure that this would be okay.  I will keep you posted and keep them for as long as necessary.  Thank you very much.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok thank you.  I have someone who is really pestering me to let me have the two she wants at 7 weeks.  She keeps going on that she has talked to her vet and the vet says it is okay for them to go at 7 weeks.  I don't want them to go early but she seemed so sure that this would be okay.  I will keep you posted and keep them for as long as necessary.  Thank you very much.
Tell her you won't give them to her until she gets a new vet then, because even a first year vet tech knows you're supposed to keep kittens with their mothers between 8 and 12 weeks. A vet who says anything less than 8 with confidence is not someone I would want to take my cats to, as it is obvious that the vet deals mostly with dogs and only accepts cats as an afterthought to increase profits.

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry but her vet doesn't know what they are talking about.  I would be suspicious.  Just be firm and tell her "Not before 10 weeks.  Wouldn't you rather have a healthy kitten?"  And if not, then she wasn't a good candidate anyway.  There are always very good homes out there for kittens... Much more responsible, too... That know about kittens and cats.  You do have a spay/neuter agreement with all of the adoptive "parents" and you have screened them, correct?  Many people out there want a kitten as an amusement for their kids and once the kids terrorize it to having issues or even kill it or it grows up, it ends up on the streets or in a shelter, usually with kittens.  So please, screen and if someone hassles you, cross them off the lists.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the product of a suspicious mind - maybe she is only saying her vet says it's OK. E.g. maybe she's fibbing.  Have you asked who her vet is?  I would.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with OrientalSlave, you should ask to speak with her vet. That was part of the adoption process when I got my cats from the Chicago SPCA, and it is especially important in this situation. If she is lying about it and really trying to force the issue, she might want kittens, not cats, and that might lead to her getting rid of them in a while for another batch of kittens.