Taking in a feral - need advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlovers23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure it was all stress related at this point. He didn't eat on his own for 1-1.5 days and when he would eat a few pieces he would puke them up after what seemed like he'd been scared from something (*noting I have a 20 month old child). Wednesday night into Thursday am was the first time he didn't puke at all. Yesterday was exactly 1 week post op and his appetite is back, and he's coming around for love even when my toddler is right there, because he'll take being scared over no love.

I realize hind site he wasn't peeing outside the litter box it was just puke/bile the entire time. We put him in the basement initially, and he would go down there for what  seemed like comfort when he was scared, startled etc. He only goes down now for the litter. The few things I'm still struggling with is he won't go over any of our baby gates, which we have one to the basement, and that is where his litter is. He was outside for months, I've seen him jump up onto my deck which is probably 10 feet in the air. I know he can make it. I don't want him to have any litter issues, so I keep the gate open with a watchful eye on my child when awake, but any suggestions.

Also, funny but gross. I've seen him come up from the basement and he's literally covered in litter, half way up his legs (all 4) and all over his face! I can't help but laugh, but it's gross.

Overall, I'm so pleased with the outcome so far, noting it's only been 1 week and 1 day. However must keep in mind I'm pretty sure after reading everyone else's advice and notes that he wasn't always feral, which is making this much easier for me, and I'm thankful! (minus the disgust that someone just abandoned this cat in his early life).

I love this site, and can't thank everyone enough for the love, support and quick replies! It's very comforting to know there are so many cat lovers in this world. :)

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like it was stress after all! It was certainly a lot of upheaval (esp when you throw in a toddler!) in his life...but sounds like he's found his forever home (and you've found a delightfully funny and loving companion. And taking him in - what a wonderful example of love and care that you're demonstrating for your young child!

Enjoy him - I have a feeling he's going to be a great cat for your family!