taking in a "bipolar" cat...advice?

gunnarthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday my husband talked to me about taking in his mothers cat, Raven, as a garage/barn cat. She is older...not quite sure how old but Matt,my husband, said she was around when he was younger. The time that I have known her was not so pleasant. She is begging to be pet one minute, rubbing on my leg and meowing, then she turns around and tries to bite me, hisses and bats(no front claws) at me. There were times that she wouldn't let me in or out of a room or hallway and I had to be rescued. She can not stand my son. She once chased him up onto the corner of the couch hissing, growling and batting at him everytime he moved. Matts mom grabbed the cat and I got to gage. Needless to say my son is terrified of her. She has "trapped" him as well. She doesn't like the dogs much either or our kitten but she will mainly be in a loft apartment in our garage. Matt wants her to catch mice. His mom told him she was going to a shelter because its just become too much for her and the shelter is not a "no kill". As crazy as she is we didn't like the thought of her being put down. I would love to somehow bond with her. She's used to having people around and the only time anyone is in the apartment is when matt gets a beer. Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I browsed thru your other threads and as I understand it, the dogs are Matt's and Raven your mom's. Gunner, the kitten is yours. And so, your mom in law lives with you?

I am not sure if Raven is that used to having people when she acts so aggressively. Here is an article that can help http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-aggression-toward-people  Chasing and trapping people, specially a child, should not be taken lightly. 

It could be she is very territorial and since you, Gage, and Gunner are like newcomers, maybe she still thinks you are intruders. 

Is she spayed? When you say "no front claws", do you mean she's declawed? 

Right now, who feeds her? Takes her to the vet? Plays with her? You can try giving her a treat when she behaves instead of trying to pet her. Raven may be the type who does not like pets and cuddles. 

Anyway, it is so just wonderful that you are very patient and trying your best to understand her. Bless you for not agreeing with your mil about putting Raven down. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is a barn cat. Barn cats may never bond with humans the same way a house cat does (some do, but many don't). Please don't feel bad. You're providing her with shelter and love by letting her catch mice in your garage, even if the love does not include petting or cuddling.

I work at a shelter, and we have a barn cat adoption program, so I feel I've learnt enough to tell you what to expect. Barn cats can be completely happy in their little cubby holes without human contact. As long as you put food and water down once a day, some hay for the cold winter months and a covered garage/barn, you're making a world of difference to them just as you would taking in an indoor cat.

What I'm saying is, don't expect to bond with her; she may be completely fine with not being around your family, but please understand too that you're doing a good thing for her. In return, she keeps your area free of mice and pests!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gunnarthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I browsed thru your other threads and as I understand it, the dogs are Matt's and Raven your mom's. Gunner, the kitten is yours. And so, your mom in law lives with you?
I am not sure if Raven is that used to having people when she acts so aggressively. Here is an article that can help http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-aggression-toward-people Chasing and trapping people, specially a child, should not be taken lightly. 
It could be she is very territorial and since you, Gage, and Gunner are like newcomers, maybe she still thinks you are intruders. 
Is she spayed? When you say "no front claws", do you mean she's declawed? 
Right now, who feeds her? Takes her to the vet? Plays with her? You can try giving her a treat when she behaves instead of trying to pet her. Raven may be the type who does not like pets and cuddles. 
Anyway, it is so just wonderful that you are very patient and trying your best to understand her. Bless you for not agreeing with your mil about putting Raven down. :clap:
Raven is living with my mother-in-law, we have our own house. She is very good with matts mom, dad and sister so the "intruder" theory would make sense. Everyone in matts parents house feeds her, matts sister, didi, cleans her litter. But as far as play....I dont think they play with her. They give her the rings off milk jugs to play with and bottle caps but ive never seen anyone actually play with her. Raven can't stand Matt either so I was very surprised he was willing to take her in. She is declawed so we didnt want her to be an in/out cat. Especially since we have a farm next door and the farmer has a few barn cats. Plus she couldnt defend herself against anything else. Matts mom said even without her front claws she is a great mouser, and we just learned we have mice in our garage. She will have her own space in the apartment in the garage, I just hate to think she'll be all by herself....then again, maybe she wants it that way.lol.