Taking cat for a visit

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Originally Posted by Jack31

He was contained to a safe room. It was not the first time he had been left alone overnight. The other times though, the possibility of taking him was impossible.
when i have taken abi I take feliway spray or an infuser and everything hs always gone smoothly. You want to build some flexibility into your cat and keep him/her open to new experiences. I think having you to smell is sufficient. so next time take the lill baby and the cariier and things that smell like you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.

Yeah I definitely want to have him explore new places.

I have never owned a cat before so everything is new to me. I definitely think he is the type of cat to easily adjust--he also has his age going for him being only 5 months old. I want him to be around a dog because my husband and I do plan to own a dog at some point, also he may need to stay with my parents in an emergency situation.

From now on he will be accompanying me on my visits to my parents house.

Leslie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whether or not kitties like to travel is totally individual to each cat! I'm sure there are breeds with tendencies. Our Spooky, who isn't Spooked by much of anything anymore, would probably travel pretty well. She doesn't complain about being in the carrier, she doesn't seem to mind car rides - and she's pretty fearless about exploring new space.

But Sheldon? He eliminates everything from every orifice within 10 minutes of going anywhere in a car. He is miserable in new places. Perhaps if we'd toted him around when we'd first adopted him at 12 weeks it would be different.

I came across a rescue story where a woman rescued a kitten while on a hiking/camping trip on a bicycle. The kitty was really ill, so she had to get to town to a vet. She couldn't leave the kitten alone during the day - so she made a sling, and just took kitty along. Now her kitten is a cat - and she still goes everywhere with her. Especially on her camping trips!

Our assistant - who lives in NYC - called last week to say he saw a man walking down the street (well groomed - not homeless or anything) with an obviously cared-for cat standing on his head.
Jin said he didn't want to give the guy the satisfaction of staring - but that it was really obvious the cat went everywhere with the guy, and was really good at balancing itself on his head.

...now that's getting out and about!

Laurie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Our assistant - who lives in NYC - called last week to say he saw a man walking down the street (well groomed - not homeless or anything) with an obviously cared-for cat standing on his head.
Jin said he didn't want to give the guy the satisfaction of staring - but that it was really obvious the cat went everywhere with the guy, and was really good at balancing itself on his head.

...now that's getting out and about!

Laurie
OT - Sorry, but the first thing that came to my mind when I read this was that perhaps Donald Trump could do something like that - it would be an improvement on his comb-over.