Taking care of strays...

kittycity81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there we are new to this site and I just wanted to thank everyone for helping all of the wonderful cats of the world.We live in Philly were helping strays is not important to many people.Actually probably about 80% of people here look at animals as being disposable so when they get tired of them they just throw them on the street and go on with their life.It hurts so bad because people like us cannot help every stray we see,so there are many left to still fend on their own.Also if you catch a stray nobody wants to help you as far as vet bills(spaying/neutering,shots,medical treatment)...so it all has to come out of our pocket.We recently had a stray female who had kittens at the end of December 2005 and when we got her we called so many Vets and asked for some kind of help and everyone refused to help us in any way.Luckily our hearts melted for her and we put the money out of our own pocket and her and her kittens were all given a clean slate with all of their shots and got to go to their FURRR-ever homes this past weekend.So like I said we need to keep up the good work,God will bless us in the long run for all of our good deeds!

grayday101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
KittyCity, I belong to a recognized, respected, nonprofit rescue group in Burlington/Camden counties in NJ. We have access to low(er) cost spay/neuter services, and place cats through several local Petsmarts and Petcos. Through fundraising and donations, we cover many of the costs of rescuing, treating, and placing our animals.

Petsmarts and Petcos with cat cages are good places to ask about rescue groups. The cages are usually filled and maintained by local rescue groups, not store staff, who may have special relationships with one or more vets.

Thanks for opening your heart and wallet to these homeless animals

ellen13

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
<<Also if you catch a stray nobody wants to help you as far as vet bills(spaying/neutering,shots,medical treatment)...so it all has to come out of our pocket.We recently had a stray female who had kittens at the end of December 2005 and when we got her we called so many Vets and asked for some kind of help and everyone refused to help us in any way.>>

I trapped 23 ferals and had them sprayed and neutered at a low cost spray and neuter clinic all at my own expense. The cost wasn't too bad, but I have 13 of them left and they are now 7 and 8 years old and the vet bills over the years have cause me to go into debt. I spend $1,300 just on one cat alone last year. None of the vets in my area will give me a break even though they know I took all these cats in off the streets and gave them home. In May they are due for their shots and 3 of them need their teeth cleaned and I just don't have the money. I'm afraid I'm going to end up like one of those crazy cat ladies that lives in a house full of sick cats.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ellen13

<<Also if you catch a stray nobody wants to help you as far as vet bills(spaying/neutering,shots,medical treatment)...so it all has to come out of our pocket.We recently had a stray female who had kittens at the end of December 2005 and when we got her we called so many Vets and asked for some kind of help and everyone refused to help us in any way.>>

I trapped 23 ferals and had them sprayed and neutered at a low cost spray and neuter clinic all at my own expense. The cost wasn't too bad, but I have 13 of them left and they are now 7 and 8 years old and the vet bills over the years have cause me to go into debt. I spend $1,300 just on one cat alone last year. None of the vets in my area will give me a break even though they know I took all these cats in off the streets and gave them home. In May they are due for their shots and 3 of them need their teeth cleaned and I just don't have the money. I'm afraid I'm going to end up like one of those crazy cat ladies that lives in a house full of sick cats.
Ellen...contact Alley Cat Allies:

http://www.alleycat.org/

Oftentimes they know of resources that can help.

Also, here is a list of low cost clinics in MD:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#md

christy l

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really appreciated reading your ideas about helping the strays, kittycity, we all seem to run into the same problems with rescue work, it is very difficult and sad to deal with.
I always write about the desperate need for more people to volunteer in the cities where there are so many homeless pets who need help. We have to get more people involved - somehow.

http://furryfriendsrescue.bravehost.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycity81

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are all angels...even if we only saved one cats life it pays off!