Taking care of a new kitten

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Pedialyte for babies is surely OK, take a non flavored brand.    Otherwise, easiest to make is perhaps this from heavily overcooked rice with added mineral salts in...  Overcooked rice water contains naturally much glucose.

As overcooked rice is in itself a stopping home remedy.

The easiest way is otherwise, you take a bottle of some nice mineral water - they typically contain lotsa of different good salts, you let the gas out, and add quite a some glucose sugar (or honey if you dont have glucose proper).  Two  tea spoons in a 330 ml bottle, so you almost feel the sweetness, but it doesnt need to BE sweet.

The same receipts are useful for humans too, btw..
Hey! it dawns on me, the easiest is probably to combine the two:

Overboil said rice in mineral water.   So you get both parts, lotsa of mineral salts AND glucose AND rests of rice - good stoppers of diarrhea everyone.

You can dilute a little the mineral water with common water if you wish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pb007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok i will do that... the mineral water without gas as u said right? Some people recommend tea... but im not too sure.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well i gave her the chicken and she loved it. The diarrhea is less liquid but I saw a small amount of blood in the last one she had. Im giving her the pedialyte for babies as suggested. She seems a bit more energetic that yesterday...i will consult the vet on my way to work today. It breaks my heart to leave her, but I already missed one of my jobs today!
Also she started to clean herself, Im happy about that. And I notices that yesterday when she was eating the dry food she drank way more water than she is drinking today with the chicken...
I see her eating much more is showing she is improving.  In the beginning she hardly ate anything at all, right?  She was too weak.   So she isnt out of woods yet, but NOW the chances did improve strongly. 

So you have probably right, not to overdo with too much too quick - but EXCELLENT she wants and can eat more. Almost as a normal healthy kitten.

When eating dry food, its necessary to drink extra - as theese ARE dry, contains barely any water.  Although some water is produced by the self digesting process. Or rather, the chemical digesting in the body cells.  So good she did drank extra to the dry food.

Chicken breast, even if they look dry, arent as dry as dry cat food.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok i will do that... the mineral water without gas as u said right? Some people recommend tea... but im not too sure.
nothing wrong with tea, but be sure its really weak tea.  The teine / caffeine in tea isnt healthy for cats.

You can combine, weak teak, mineral water where you let the gas out, and rice overboiled in it...

Should be something of the premium first rate home remedy for diarrheas.

It wont cure her from say, coccidia, but it will surely lessen the impact. and will help with the electrolyte drainage from diarrhea.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. if you boil rice in that mineral water, the gas will get out by itself, so you dont need to wait for the gas to disappear before you begin to boil it with rice.

pb007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I will give her that before going to work and see what is the result. I will also stop by the vet and ask him about mild dewormers as recommended.
I will be back in approximately 4 hours and will make sure that she is left with all the requirements...now im hesitant about leaving the heating device on...im affraid I never leave anythig on in my house hehe. Lets pray that she does fine without me. :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First of all, the kitten is eating wet and dry food on its own, which is good.

Second, the kitten is not too young to be treated for worms or parasites, especially if it has them. The ongoing diarrhea suggests possible coccidia or giardia, which require medication. The blood in the stool is from intestinal irritation. Or it could be intestinal bacteria, which an antibiotic, such as clavamox, would cure. The kitten needs meds from a vet who is skilled and willing to treat a kitten.

Let us know what the vet says!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can fill a sock with raw rice and microwave it.  It should hold the heat for 3 or 4 hours.  Try this while you are at home with Cotton first, so you know how long it will hold the heat.  That way you won't need to leave anything on.  Is there someone who can check on her while you are at work?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first 3 days a kitten will cry and cry for their momma and siblings. After 3 they will adapt and not cry but still need plenty of attention :)

It is very best that you do NOT leave her unattended in the home while you are away, she must be contained, a small space like a bathroom is fine, or a large cardboard box that she can not escape from.

It is for her own safety, kittens this young can find trouble in ways you can't even imagine.

Next, she needs a vet visit. She needs to be dewormed, de-flead, weighed, and scheduled for her first series of kitten vaccines, which will start around 8 weeks.

She also needs a fecal float to show which parasite she has, which I'm pretty sure is causing her diarrhea.

She needs the babycat (which I LOVE for this age) left out and available at all times.

She also needs canned kitten (fancy feast is fine) offered at least daily, along with KMR (kitten replacement milk) at least daily.

If she takes these well she won't get dehydrated, but you must keep an eye on this, kittens so small do get dehydrated easily, so if she does not then add pediolyte to her formula, canned also a bit.

Look at her gums and see what color and choose 1.

Chalk white, white with a hint of pink, pale pink, pink.

Age can be determined by her actions. Is she able to run?

She needs to be weighed with a gram or ounce scale. At 4 weeks she should weigh about 1 pound.

At 5 weeks about 1 1/4 pound, or about 20 ounces.

pb007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
U guys yesterday I told you I was going to visit the vet on my way to work. I did and it turns put the the cause of the diarrhea could have been a medicine the vet gave Cotton for worms. Yesterday at 3 pm my ttime (now is 7 am of the next day, Tuesday) she stopped the diarrhea, however she hasnt gone to the toilet since then. Now im worried because Cotton came from the streets very weak and she has a very persistant desire for eating. She is very hungry and doesnt want mmilkshe wants the dry food royal canin I was giving her the day before. I will leave her some since I have to go to work now and will be back in 5 to 6hours. If i come back and see no s8gns of poop ill take her to the vet for once.
Wht do u think

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she had the runs she is cleaned out.  It will take a day or two for her to have any solid waste.

pb007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so i keep on feeding her the dry food for kittens right? Thats what I will do. By the way she is such a sweet heart she started playing yestarday and she is quite active now. I see a great difference today. She cries a lot but i guess she misses her mother...and she is hungry too.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She can eat all the babycat dry she wants, it's excellent for her, high in protein and many other good things.

I have turned around countless malnourished bony pot bellied kittens with it.

Just be sure she gets plenty of fluids too, water/formula/canned.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what you mean when you say that she's hungry.  Do you mean that she's eating all of her food?  Or that she is crying for food?  She needs to have access to food all of the time.  Please leave dry food out for her always.  She should be able to eat the dry food whenever she feels like it, when you are home and when you are out.  In addition, she should get meals of wet food or chicken, whatever she likes, a few times a day.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
U guys yesterday I told you I was going to visit the vet on my way to work. I did and it turns put the the cause of the diarrhea could have been a medicine the vet gave Cotton for worms. Yesterday at 3 pm my ttime (now is 7 am of the next day, Tuesday) she stopped the diarrhea, however she hasnt gone to the toilet since then. Now im worried because Cotton came from the streets very weak and she has a very persistant desire for eating. She is very hungry and doesnt want mmilkshe wants the dry food royal canin I was giving her the day before. I will leave her some since I have to go to work now and will be back in 5 to 6hours. If i come back and see no s8gns of poop ill take her to the vet for once.
Wht do u think
Are you talking about when you got her, or do you mean, you are already now beginning to let her out?

Anyways, I see she is quite better now than in the beginning.  She even got some sort of deworming from the vet.

IF she gets constipated, step 1 is be sure she has enough with fluids, ie give some extra if so is.  Step 2 is to give several drops of some nice vegetable oil - may be mixed with food or milk,  coldpressed olive oil is good.   This is harmless, so you can repeat if it doenst help at once.

There are more tricks, but these are to begin with.

pb007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh no, I never leave her out. I meant that she was running around the bedroom because I have her in the small toilet next to my room. I will try the olive oil as soon as I get home. I will keep u updated.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She likely isn't constipated right now, just cleaned out by the diarrhea. Are you still seeing that lump?

How much is she eating per day now?

Last edited: