Taking a "problem" cat to the vet.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I have both a tip and also, a question. I have always had extreme problems with my cat and the vet.  Basically I have NEVER understood cat carriers. It is beyond hard to get the cat into a carrier. Even if the top opens. The entire way the carrier is built is just wrong. Finally my cats always seemed terrified by the the closed space. They wanted to be able to stand. It has taken 10 years but I want to tell you I have found a solution. I purchased a large plastic storage bin from Wallmart. It is clear and tall and opens at the top.  It has air holes on the handles. But I also took a knife and made about 40 little airholes. Just stick the knife in and turn in a slow circle.  I bought a piece of carpet remnant and I attached it with 3 M velcro tabs so it doesn't move and my cat can hold on.  When I have to take my cat to the vet I just take the top off... lift him into it.. and down.  He never seems to panic like he did with the carrier OR try to get out of it. In fact, one thing he used to do in the carrier that drove me insane... was try to get out while I was driving.  But in this, he just curls up and is quiet.  I considered the possibility he wasn't getting enough air but my vet said that should be plenty. 

I wish that just ONE pet manufacturer would make something like this so I didn't have to do a hand made one.  But I know the terror going to a vet would be and I want people who have the same problem to know this works.  I truely feel that it works because it is so hard and so clear. The cat can see what is happening and also knows that nothing is going to get to him in there.

Now the question... my cat is HORRIFIC at the vet. They have his poster up ( look out psycho cat)  and every visit requires sedation.  Is there anyway to make him more used to it? The vet is always like, no that is just normal, but I feel like I can't get pet care.   I just feel like there must be something we can do.  It is crazy that you have to put the cat out.  Has anyone found a way to deal with it. I suspect strongly my cat would calm down if I could just let him stay there for like a week...and get him used to strangers touching him. At home he will let me doctor him as long as we have a chat and I tell him it has to be done. But at the vet that takes too long.

Has anyone else faced this?

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cannot help you with the behavior at the vet. My babies are angels 
at the vet, even my bad boy. My vet gets everyone right in exam rooms/surgical center so they do not have to be in the waiting room as people/pets come and go.

I just wanted to let you know that the crate is a great idea!!! I take mine on a leash because he rubs his nose on the carrier door and takes his fur off his nose. When I show up it looks like I beat my cat up before he arrived
 ! I need two large ones on wheels. I can put two cats in each and they cant slide around when I pick it up.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
First, I highly recommend finding a different vet. Anytime an animal is given a bad reputation I think it hinders the care they receive.

Are there any vets in your area that make house calls? That may be the best route to go. If you can find one, discuss your concerns about your cat's behavior with strangers and see if the vet could make a few "get to know you" visits so that the cat can get use to the vet in your home. I use this technique with the more skittish cats in our rescue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First, I highly recommend finding a different vet. Anytime an animal is given a bad reputation I think it hinders the care they receive.

Are there any vets in your area that make house calls? That may be the best route to go. If you can find one, discuss your concerns about your cat's behavior with strangers and see if the vet could make a few "get to know you" visits so that the cat can get use to the vet in your home. I use this technique with the more skittish cats in our rescue.
Nope sorry, they are all like that. I have been to two different vets and the ER vet all want to sedate within 3 seconds of arrival.

I did have them make a home call once but, I believe the smell of the *vet* set my cat off. It was no better.   I suppose it could have been if they would have tried to go slow and play with the cat but they were all business.  I suspect that if I dropped my cat off at the vet for like a week and he got used to them and stuff he would let them do stuff, but, at the moment... these are strangers trying to take blood from him.

What is depressing is that he was pretty happy go lucky when he was a kitten and would let them do a lot but someplace along the way things changed.

patsyscloud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My cat (Trissy) is just like your cat. When she was a baby she loved everybody. I would take her in the car everywhere. Now she is almost six years old she has changed in the past four months. She is not friendly with other people any more. I had to take her to the vets two weeks ago. Wow bad stuff. My husband was able to get her in the pet taxi by tricking her. Well that's when it began, she was screeming and howling and hissing and attacking my husbands hand through the carrier. When we got to the car she calmed down, until we got to the vets. I think even the vet was afraid they had to sedate her to give Trissy an enema.The vet was not fair. The bill came to $627.00 I said for what, all she needed was an enema and sedation. She did all these other tests etc. I think she should have asked me first. So I got upset and she gave me a discount of $88.00. Wow. I had to burrow money to pay her, I'm on a disability. So we got Trissy home and she was fine until today. My husband stepped on her with bare foot. He was getting ready a while later and she attacked his feet and ripped him open. Usually she only did this if he puts his shoes on she hates shoes because of being stepped on in the past. I have been giving her Head to Tail calming tablets I get from Pet Value. They did help to calm her down but being stepped on today started her up again. We took her to a motel for two nights because my apartment floor was being done, we went to the store. When we got back a guy was teasing her. And she was really attacking the window. I think this changed her.