Taking a Guess

Kopanova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll post a couple of pics, one will be a really good picture of each of my 2 males, Kopa and Kovu, and the last will be of my Highlander Lynx/Munchkin mix girl, Vitanni.

Vitanni came from a breeder and we DNA tested her just to be sure. But since DNA testing her, I've recently become very curious about the potential breed of my boys. They came from the same litter but have polar opposite personalities. Kopa is solid tabby, while Kovu looks kind of like a tuxebo cat with his Tabby. Kovu has hazel/green eyes and Kopa has distinct amber/orange eyes.

What do you guys think?

#1: Kopa
#2: Kopa with Vitanni
#3: Kopa up close
#4: Kovu up close

Attachments

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unless you got the two boys from a breeder as well they are likely just domestic short hairs, not any specific breed. Tabby and tuxedo just describe coat pattern, which is common in the general domestic population have those patterns, not specific to any breed. Eye color also has nothing to do with breed, and it's normal for cats even in the same litter to have different coat patterns, colors, and eye colors.

You can get them DNA tested if you want, but keep in mind that those tests just tell you what breeds they are genetically similar to, as in share common genetic ancestry, not actually what breeds they are. If you already know the breeds, like with Vitanni, you can use those tests to confirm they have the correct genetic traits for that breed or breeds though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kopanova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't know anything about their background. My boyfriends sister got them for her kids but they weren't being well cared for so we took them. I seem some similarities to certain breeds but I don't think really anything would be concrete lol. Drat well at least with a DNA test maybe I can get some idea. Lol :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately I don't know anything about their background. My boyfriends sister got them for her kids but they weren't being well cared for so we took them. I seem some similarities to certain breeds but I don't think really anything would be concrete lol. Drat well at least with a DNA test maybe I can get some idea. Lol :)
You see similarities because all purebred cats are derived from domestic cats. Domestic came first. Once breeding became popular, the nice/good attributes became incorporated to create the specific breed.

They are nice looking but typical looking short hair domestic tabbies.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. I agree. If you dont know nothing much about their background, presume they are domestic shorthair.
So not suitable for any active breeding.

Unless you do have some neigbour whom is desperate to let her female get kittens, and doesnt not want to just let her out a couple of days.

The advice is, to neuter them asap.

IF your girl is purebred, you can of course think on some breeding. Easiest if you do it in cooperation with her breeder, whom will thus become your mentor.
But observe, being a purebred isnt automatic she goes into breeding.
Most purebred cats do anyway get neutered / spayed, without being used for breeding...

Oy, Watson, the prettiest and nicest of my grandchildren! Extremely suitable to be a stud! but the owners didnt wished to bother, and he got neutered young.... :(

Last edited:

Kopanova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. I agree. If you dont know nothing much about their background, presume they are domestic shorthair.
So not suitable for any active breeding.

Unless you do have some neigbour whom is desperate to let her female get kittens, and doesnt not want to just let her out a couple of days.

The advice is, to neuter them asap.

IF your girl is purebred, you can of course think on some breeding. Easiest if you do it in cooperation with her breeder, whom will thus become your mentor.
But observe, being a purebred isnt automatic she goes into breeding.
Most purebred cats do anyway get neutered / spayed, without being used for breeding...

Oy, Watson, the prettiest and nicest of my grandchildren! Extremely sutibable to be a stud! but the owners didnt wished to bother, and he got neutered young.... :(
Oof! No thank you! Lol while gorgeous my girl is not suitable for breeding, the only reason the babies haven't been neutered/spayed is I'm waiting for the one year mark. Give them PLENTY of time to grow.

But don't worry! ALL interactions between my males and my Lil female is STRICTLY monitored. If IM not in the room then neither are the boys. If they even gave off a HINT they were trying to go for her or she starts flagging them NO GO! they will be separated. I bred Great Pyrenees, Bernese Mountains, Australians and German Shepherds. That's a firm no from me haha.

i am just actively curious about their heritage that's all.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vitanni is has coloring similiar to a snow bengal.

Her pal in the same exhibition cage, seems to be a ticked tabby; no clear stripes on the body, but lotsa on legs and behind and head.

Kopanova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vitanni is has coloring similiar to a snow bengal.

Her pal in the same exhibition cage, seems to be a ticked tabby; no clear stripes on the body, but lotsa on legs and behind and head.
Isn't it gorgeous? This is her mom, has the same distinct coloring but can see the true Highlander Lynx look with her.

And the cage isn't actually a cage. Just a spare kennel with the door removed to give her a nice dark hiding spot.

Attachments