Taking a cat's temperature... um, *that* way

kristin23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologize in advance for how, erm, graphic this may be. It's not a pretty subject and neither my cat nor myself enjoy either the procedure or talking about it.

My 9 year old cat Gus had a bout with sepsis last week. Pretty scary stuff. His temp went up to 105.4. Although he had no visible wounds, our vet said sepsis without a clear cause was not unusual and anything could have caused it -- we don't/won't know. Days of I.V. fluids and loads of antibiotics later, he is back home and has been doing well for the past couple days. He's only on Clindamycin at home now.

In the meantime, I've been monitoring his temperature rectally at home (with a digital thermometer) to make sure the fever doesn't climb again. I hate doing that. Oh, how it scares me. Oddly enough, the "gross factor" isn't what bothers me as much as the fear that I'm accidentally going to poke too hard and puncture the inside of his rectum (potentially bringing about another infection, this one being caused by that). My vet has explained to me how to take their temp and I've taken his and his sister's several times in the past, but each time though -- each time -- I'm afraid that the slightest little "snag" I feel inserting it in is the thermometer poking through their rectum. I'm very careful, but sometimes a little snag or hang-up inside still happens.

I'm thoroughly and simultaneously amused and frustrated by online instructions for this simply including one sentence like "Then insert the thermometer in the cat's anus" as if it's as simple as that. What about that sentence seems easy?!

So, I suppose what I'm wondering is that it would be pretty difficult to injure a cat while trying to take their temp rectally, right? Not every "snag" while inserting it is necessary bad, right? I would think that if I'd poked clean through or even slightly torn inside his rectum, he would have freaked out on me.

Right....?

alecat10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Vet advised me to put the thermometer under my cats arm, for the said time, and add one degrees! Been doing this for years and it's accurate! I always keep a log of the temps! It's less invasive/stressful this way!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you got even slightly close to poking the thermometer through, your cat would definitely let you know.     And the people in the ER that YOU had to go to for "multiple deep lacerations and puncture wounds" would probably agree that it is relatively hard to puncture a lower intestine (colon, anus, whatever).

Just be easy putting it in and you should be safe. If you are still worried, try the method that alecat10 uses.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually put up (what was to me) 'big money' for an ear thermometer that my vet guaranteed was accurate... and it turns out my kitties are so very special that they won't stand for that, but prefer me to take their temp rectally :/ Not that they love that either, but they will sort of let it happen especially if they are sleepy whereas the ear thermometer was as if I were trying to assassinate them  no matter how sleepy/sick they were.  So I've been stuck doing it rectally on mine for some time and I can assure you that you are doing fine.  Some resistance as the thermometer enters is normal.  It does not mean anything is being punctured.  Your kitty will let you know if something is wrong, I can promise you that.

I'd never heard of alecat10's method but as catspaw66 says, it is worth a try if you are truly unable to get comfortable doing it rectally.  

alecat10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have actually confirmed this method with two different Vets, and they both said the same thing!! because  I was doubtful that this was actually  true! But it seems to work and be accurate! Don't forget to add one degree!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My Vet advised me to put the thermometer under my cats arm, for the said time, and add one degrees! Been doing this for years and it's accurate! I always keep a log of the temps! It's less invasive/stressful this way!

One degree in Fahrenheit?  I would guess it would be OK with Celscius.  I met on my two residents, pretending it was a new game we played, and both got 37,3 resp 37,4 C degrees. Which is quite precisely a whole degree lower than a normal cat tem on about  38,5...

Whichever method you use, it is wise if you know the normal temp for your cat, so you know the changes, as the exact temp may vary between cat and between situations...

IF you use the rectal measuring, you can have something on the termometer, like a little butter or food oil.  And also warm up the termometer in your hand so the cat wont protest.

jdollprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's pretty difficult to injure a cat taking its temp, just make sure to use some kind of lubricant.

jamesonsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I (and my poor kitty) can appreciate your concern for this!  He has just recovered from surgery to fix a perforated rectum.  The cause was either from constipation or from an enema to relieve it.  Do be careful.