Taking 3 Week Old Kittens To Vet

cookiemueller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 kittens who are 3 weeks old. All of them have apparent eye infections (eyes seeping pus which seals them shut, I've tried wiping them but it is still recurring) so I have made a vet appointment for them tomorrow. I asked the receptionist when making the appointment if I could just bring one since they all have the same symptoms and I hoped to reduce stress on kittens and mother cat but she said they'd like to see all 3.

My question is do I need to bring the mother cat as well? She is very protective even when I try to hold them for too long. I've tried to take them into the bathroom to let them walk around because the "nest" she has them in is pretty cramped but she immediately picks them up and takes them back so I have put that on hold obviously. I'm just afraid this will be traumatic for mother cat to have her babies gone for an hour or more. But she's also not going to want to go in the carrier so is it ok for her to be apart from them temporarily?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
"This is bad and this is not good"... I suspect the lest bad is to take just the kittens. Be sure they are warm and cozy, including a heating pad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookiemueller

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's what I was thinking but figured I'd get a second opinion. Thanks

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If mom reacts poorly you can always bring her too.

Can you give her a larger nest in the same spot where the current one is? It sounds like she really needs more room!

Continue cleaning the kittens' eyes with a warm, damp cloth for now so they stay clear.