Taken A Cat In - Pregnant Please Help

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I’m in need of some non-judgemental advise please! I’ve taken in a cat my friend could no longer care for as she’s had to move back home with her parents.
I suspect she is pregnant and would just like some experienced input on her size/duration.
I have tried to take her to the vets but she will NOT go into or near a carrier, so I am going to see if a vet can come out to me on Monday. In the meantime could some of you take a guess for me based on her pictures? She’s a very petite cat, she’s around 2 years old.
Her belly has grown rapidly the last 10 days or so. Eating more, nipples are pink and large. No nesting going on but she is sleeping a lot and seems uncomfortable. I also noticed this morning her stomach seems to have dropped underneath and is less pronounced on the sides? Pictures don’t really show how big and hard her tummy is!
I also noticed some movement today when I was laying on the bed with her. I think I can feel small sausage shaped kittens when I stroke down her sides too?
Any help appreciated ! Thanks x

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for taking her in! It’s hard to tell how far along she is based on pictures alone. Can you feel the kittens moving? That means that they’re usually in the last two weeks of pregnancy. Does your friend know when she mated? Cats have an average gestation length of 64 days, so, if you can ask when she mated, you can get a pretty close estimate of when she’ll deliver.

This article is very helpful: How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Thanks for caring!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She definitely looks pregnant! She also looks a little thin (shoulders, hips) now is the time to get her on some kitten food and kitten replacement milk to give her extra calories and nutrition. She's not very big, 2-3 kittens at the most. Unless you know whne she was mated it is really just a waiting game. I wouldn't stress her by taking her to a vet right now. Since she is two this most likely isn't her first litter. Bless you for giving her a home,I know it's unbearable but you can't rush mother nature!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she’s quite reluctant to let me touch her belly, I have seen movement though, flutters/pushes rather than wriggles. She said she saw her with 2 Male cats end of April/ start of June then kept her in thereafter. ( one all black & one white and black if you could take a guess at kitten colour too that’d be awesome lol! ) so I have a roundabout date of the first of July. It’s just paining me not knowing just how far along she is her tummy is lovely and round and firm, and like I said I can feel sausage shaped lumps when I can stroke her briefly x

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She definitely looks pregnant! She also looks a little thin (shoulders, hips) now is the time to get her on some kitten food and kitten replacement milk to give her extra calories and nutrition. She's not very big, 2-3 kittens at the most. Unless you know whne she was mated it is really just a waiting game. I wouldn't stress her by taking her to a vet right now. Since she is two this most likely isn't her first litter. Bless you for giving her a home,I know it's unbearable but you can't rush mother nature!
She hasn’t had kittens before. Also, she’s always been little like this, I have her on kitten food and she’s not getting any bigger :/ she’s eating good, although not eaten food this lunchtime today! X

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
she’s quite reluctant to let me touch her belly, I have seen movement though, flutters/pushes rather than wriggles. She said she saw her with 2 Male cats end of April/ start of June then kept her in thereafter. ( one all black & one white and black if you could take a guess at kitten colour too that’d be awesome lol! ) so I have a roundabout date of the first of July. It’s just paining me not knowing just how far along she is her tummy is lovely and round and firm, and like I said I can feel sausage shaped lumps when I can stroke her briefly x
Yes, that’s movement! So, I think she probably has no more than two weeks left.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep, probably 2-3 weeks left. An x-ray would reveal specifics, but no need to stress her. As mentioned, feed her well.

Have you set up a nest for her? Make sure it is in a private area where she will not be disturbed. New moms like privacy with their babies. Show her the nest, but she may not use it until it’s time to deliver.

Thank you for taking her in! :)

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, probably 2-3 weeks left. An x-ray would reveal specifics, but no need to stress her. As mentioned, feed her well.

Have you set up a nest for her? Make sure it is in a private area where she will not be disturbed. New moms like privacy with their babies. Show her the nest, but she may not use it until it’s time to deliver.

Thank you for taking her in! :)
Yes I have bought her a lovely wicker basket with a furry blanket and she will not go near it lol I also made a box nest using an old T-shirt to make a cave and she peed in it lol x

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update - please can I get some further advise?

So today i have noticed she has been exploring nooks and crannies in the house (nesting?)
Her tummy was very large this morning. This evening it seems to have lost girth / not sticking out at the sides as much. Should I be concerned ? She’s still eating, no nipple change or back end change :/
Thanks in advance for any advice, I’m getting such conflicting advise on google searches x

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep her in a single room with a nest or two and cover everything else with plastic so she doesn’t ruin anything if she decides to deliver on a piece of furniture. If you have a closet, the floor is a great place to set a nesting box.

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep her in a single room with a nest or two and cover everything else with plastic so she doesn’t ruin anything if she decides to deliver on a piece of furniture. If you have a closet, the floor is a great place to set a nesting box.
Thank you, can you shed some light on the belly size change? Is this ‘dropping’ ? She’s still firm and rounded but she doesn’t look like she’s got a donkey belly anymore lol x

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think cats bellies drop like a woman’s does. Every cat is a little different but you can usually tell when they are getting close because they start looking for a nest, may seem restless, may start licking themselves and may have a decrease in appetite.

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t think cats bellies drop like a woman’s does. Every cat is a little different but you can usually tell when they are getting close because they start looking for a nest, may seem restless, may start licking themselves and may have a decrease in appetite.
Should I be concerned then? She is very noticeably different this evening in size/shape x

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is eating and acting normal, I wouldn’t be concerned. Just be ready for her to deliver in the coming couple weeks. You might want to go ahead and get a scale, if you don’t have one so you can weigh kittens daily to make sure they are thriving and get some high calorie wet food for mom to eat post delivery. There is some, Royal Canine I believe that is made specifically for new mom’s.

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she is eating and acting normal, I wouldn’t be concerned. Just be ready for her to deliver in the coming couple weeks. You might want to go ahead and get a scale, if you don’t have one so you can weigh kittens daily to make sure they are thriving and get some high calorie wet food for mom to eat post delivery. There is some, Royal Canine I believe that is made specifically for new mom’s.
Thank you, I have everything ready :) she’s on kitten food already x

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the kittens line up and are ready for the birth canal, this can provide a noticable change in the appearance. They stop moving as musch too. As long as she is acting normal and not crying in distress everything is OK. You can't predict what mother nature will do, or when, so just be there for her and give what comfort you can!

Jessbubz1802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, the kittens line up and are ready for the birth canal, this can provide a noticable change in the appearance. They stop moving as musch too. As long as she is acting normal and not crying in distress everything is OK. You can't predict what mother nature will do, or when, so just be there for her and give what comfort you can!
Thank you :) she’s just sleeping under my bed, only comes out to eat or use the litter tray ‍♀ Nipples are very obvious today, think she’s pulling fur x

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Expect things to go well, they usually do.

If you become terribly concerned and feel you need to get her in a carrier, throw a large towel - bath towel size- over her and wrap it around her. Put her and the towel in the carrier. She'll unwrap herself on the way to the vet. I'm just saying this because you said you couldn't get her in a carrier and I thought you might feel more
relaxed if you had a way to do it if you needed to. Again, you probably won't need to, but now you know how. hugs to both of you.