Tail problems

ilovemanecoons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is an issue I need some advise and info about! its important! Today my cat was snuggling with me, and I felt something strange on her tail. I looked closer and then I realized there was a rubber band rapped around the middle of her tail ( I suspect one of my kids did that) which had caused some swelling. So of course, I cut off the rubber band using scissors making sure not to cut her. For around 10 minutes she ran around the house thrashing her tail violently about. I got closer and noticed her breathing had increased and her heart was racing. So, I put her in her carrier ( she feels very safe in her crate) and it into a dark room so she could calm down, she was in there for around 7 hours checking on her frequently. I opened the crate keeping her contained into the room, and tried to get her to eat some ( she did eat ). she is still thrashing her tail and she will raise only half of her tail, leaving the other half drooping.. what should I do, will she be alright? Please help 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the rubber band probably cut off the circulation.  It could have paralyzed that part of the tail.  Does she have any wounds on her tail?  I would recommend a vet visit.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would really recommend a vet visit. I would be concerned about how long that rubber band was on and how tight it was. If blood flow was restricted, there could be damage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovemanecoons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she had absolutely no wounds on her tail.. the tip of her tail is warm and not cold too... its late were i live andi think that all vets are closed right now...if i take her right in the morning would that be ok..

ilovemanecoons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The rubber band wasn't very tight and I  was able to get it out without effort  (other than the cat throwing a fit) and it was on there for about 6 hours id guess.... its late were i am and im sure all the vets ive loooked at are closed ... will she be ok if i take her early in the morning?  

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think anyone but a vet can say if she'll be ok, but if it's already been 7 hours, and things are not worse, it's probably not an emergency at this point. The fast breathing and increased heart rate are really worrying though. Have those improved? Are there no emergency vets in your area though that you could at least call?

ilovemanecoons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes she was only breathing heavily for around 30 minutes and the heart beat has slowed down to a normal speed. She is wanting to go up and about and has eaten,  her tail still will not lift but it only seems to hurt for her if i touch the one half of the tail what was damaged. Do you think they will have to amputate her tail? 

ilovemanecoons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am actually located in CO as well but my local vets are closed, what vets in CO have good prices but quality care? 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am in Colorado Springs. I have used 3 vets, and prices and care varied (not correlated by the way). I have not used an emergency vet, but I do have the number of one nearby that my regular vet recommended that is supposedly open 24/7 for emergencies.

ilovemanecoons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am in Englewood. Do you think that my cat will have to have her tail amputated, and could i have the number of the vet? 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really have no idea if amputation will be required. Many vibes that it is not as serious as that. I will PM you that number.

ilovemanecoons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well we took our  Coco to the vet in the morning, and they gave us some pain meds for her, and told us that she was going to be fine.. so far she has almost gained full movement back into her tail, so is doing great :)