Tail chasing

hattiers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I am new here and i look forward to discussions on cats in different forums.

I started this search because I have a 5 yr old Siamese (Lou Ling - Ling for short) who has taken up chasing her tail. She settles into my lap and immediately starts grabbing for her tail. She bites at it and licks it and seems real happy with what she is doing - but - isn't that a kitten trait? I'd swear the end of her tail is beginning to look bleached! I am concerned that she might be having an emotional problem.

Any ideas?

hattiers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hattiers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

My kittens chase thier tails all the time.
Kittens DO chase their tails but at some point they grow out of it. Ling is
5 years old! And it is a new behavior for her.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is her tail scaley or flaky? If not, she may have just "noticed" her tail as a great toy and wants to share the fun.
My two oldest are about 4 and 5 and ocassionaly they start having tail chasing episode.... usually it is when they are on the stairs... kind of like a "Why DOES that thing keep following me?!?"

Welcome to the forum!

mellanie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Siamese cats are prone to over-grooming, tail-sucking and other obsessive grooming issues. I would suggest calling your vet, or taking her in for a check up. If she wasn't Siamese, I would think she's just having fun, but those guys are just so neurotic!! (one of mine is a burmese/siamese cross; once in a while she will run around in terror of the 'thing'' attached to her butt that keeps chasing her, until I pick her up and 'hide' her tail)

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I totally disagree with the statements "Siamese cats are prone to over-grooming, tail-sucking and other obsessive grooming issues" and "those guys (Siamese) are just so neurotic". This just simply isn't true and is indicative of the bad reputation that Siamese cats (and more specifically, their people) often have to endure. Siamese cats are no more prone to these sorts of things than any other cats.

Hattiers, it sounds like your baby has found a new toy, but if you are worried about it, then by all means, have her in to see her vet for an assessment.

~gf~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hattiers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

I totally disagree with the statements "Siamese cats are prone to over-grooming, tail-sucking and other obsessive grooming issues" and "those guys (Siamese) are just so neurotic". This just simply isn't true and is indicative of the bad reputation that Siamese cats (and more specifically, their people) often have to endure. Siamese cats are no more prone to these sorts of things than any other cats.

Hattiers, it sounds like your baby has found a new toy, but if you are worried about it, then by all means, have her in to see her vet for an assessment.

~gf~
Thanks to you all who posted replys. Siamese are cats of a different color and they tend to be more "special" in their personalities. I have two (brother and sister) and a third cat which is an Abby. Three more different personalities you couldn't find. Abbott (the abby) is Alpha Cat but only because Ling lets him think so. He is the oldest. But what SHE says goes.
The siamese male, Attila, is so dumb he is cute. He is just loping through life grinning. Reminds me a lot of the dog in the Garfield cartoons.

I don't notice any flakes on Ling's tail and she seems to do it only in my lap so I guess it is just play. I'll mention it, though, when I take her in again to see the vet.

I look forward to more discussions.
hattiers

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

~gf~
I have only had a friendship with one Siamese cat over the years, but she was an angel.. A bossy vocal angel, but a sweetheart nonetheless.
Perhaps, Mellanie, you have only witnessed the antics of poorly bred or inbred siamese?
I know that this is the main reason why many poodles, in the dog world, for example, have the same bad reputation for being neurotic and over/poorly bred..

However, a well bred animal doesn't carry these traits and you can't paint all siamese or any breed of animal with the same brush..

Just my two cents.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think much breeding has to come into it - there are neurotic cats in all breeds and types - same for people. I don't beleive I have ever met a neutoric siamese - the siamese I had for 17 years was a sweety. Now Raven that I currently have.... well she is a bit on the odd side.
Still love her dearly!

millyanddaisy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Milly does this too! She is neither a kitten, a Siamese or neurotic either. I think she just enjoys playing that game - although I've noticed she does it more often when she wants to get my attention (when she thinks it's dinnertime for instance).

Sue