Tail Behaviour

kittylove542

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone cat has an expressive tail like my Storm. If she's up and about, walking around she lies her tail flat against her back which I thought was peculiar as I've never seen a cat that could do that before. When ever she's playing her tail is extremely expressive with wild wagging movements, and even sometimes when she's being petted. My other cats only shake their tail like that when (I'm assuming) they're agitated but she seems to do it while she's enjoying some TLC too. She wags her tail so hard that if she's lying on the floor it smacks the ground making a thud noise.. If she's "hunting/playing" with the other cats to play her tail is always twitching and we always watch her tail cause we think it has a mind of its own!
 Any other expressive tails here?

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Haha! One of my cats does this, she is a female also. She has always had a wildly expressive tail and sometime, as you have explained, she means different things then most cats when they have the same reactions. But, I always know when she is really happy, b/c her tail will vibrate (for lack of better term!)

gothickitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our one cat Tarzan "wags" his tail like if he was a dog when he's happy. It's weird to see the "purr-o-scope" wagging like a happy dog's tail hehe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylove542

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, my storm's tail vibrates as well.. but it mostly happens when I'm rubbing her cute speckled belly, so I don't think it's because she's enjoying it (not as much as me, anyways
) hehehe. I just thought it was strange cause my other cats tails aren`t nearly as expressive as hers so I thought I`d see how common it was.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hee hee, tails are fabulous. 
  If she vibrates her tail she's really excited and happy to see you!  One of my girls used to do that wagging and thumping her tail on the floor when she was playing with little children who couldn't walk and she'd use her tail to get their attention and JUST out of their reach so they'd try to move towards her and she'd move off just fast and far enough to keep them going: it was hilarious to watch.  The tail is a great give away on how your cat feels as long as you link it to other cues like their ears or whiskers to check out if it is a happy excited or a warning scared sign.  Few things better than seeing your cat running up to you with their tail pointing up to the sky or looking at you and their tail's vibrating away.

Loving the sound of that tail flat up against the back and the wagging like a dog!   

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oliver wags the end of his tail a lot, and it will smack the ground with a little thud if we're on the hardwoods. It also sort of vibrates when he's getting rubs. 

Oh, and this week, he's hilariously mistaken his tail for prey when he's playing. He wags his tail wildly when he's playing, and at least three times this week, he's attacked his tail when it wagged into his view! XD 

SO ADORABLE!